Meet Female with a Beard - Drag Queen Conchita Wurst: Eurovision 2014 Most Popular Contestant
By nidhi tewari | May 9, 2014 5:55 PM EST
Conchita Wurst is gaining mass popularity as the Austrian transvestite contestant for the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest 2014. The 25-year-old drag queen who was born as Thomas Neuwirth but now prefers to be called a female - with a beard. Find out more about Conchita.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
1. Conchita is representing both masculine and feminine genders and is expected to sing the song "Rise Like A Phoenix" at the Eurovision Song Contest grand finale on Saturday in Denmark. She has qualified for the finals.
2. Though Conchita has lot of fan following, she also has lot of critics from her own country as well around the world. She has been the subject of homophobic and transphobic attacks from Russia, Armenia and Belarus.
3. Conchita identifies as gender neutral but prefers to use female pronouns for herself (her/she rather than him/he).
4. When Conchita was still Neuwirth, he worked as a shop window decorator.
5. Neuwirth graduated from the Graz School of Fashion in 2011 and thus it shows in her unique fashion sense.
6. Conchita has an anti-Facebook page against her named Anti-Wurst.
7. Conchita says that she would like to keep her facial hair as it is even if it causes controversy. "You know, I have a very thick skin. It's just strange that a little facial hair causes that much excitement," Conchita told Associated press in an interview, according to Daily Mail.
8. Though Russia does not have laws that openly propagate gays and transgenders, Conchita claims that she has most fans in Russia. "I have to add that 80 percent of the autograph requests that I get are from Russia and eastern Europe - and that's what is important to me," Conchita revealed, according to Daily Mail.
9. Conchita was once a part of a boy band but it quickly broke up.
10. Just like many girls/boys of her age, Conchita too likes to take selfies and they can be seen on her Instagram account. Check out below.
Europe's biggest song contest Eurovision 2014 returns on Saturday 10 May on BBC. Denmark won 2013's competition and hence the capital city has been chosen to host the show this time around. Does Conchita stand the chance to win?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage