Meet Female with a Beard - Drag Queen Conchita Wurst: Eurovision 2014 Most Popular Contestant
By nidhi tewari | May 9, 2014 5:55 PM EST
Conchita Wurst is gaining mass popularity as the Austrian transvestite contestant for the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest 2014. The 25-year-old drag queen who was born as Thomas Neuwirth but now prefers to be called a female - with a beard. Find out more about Conchita.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
1. Conchita is representing both masculine and feminine genders and is expected to sing the song "Rise Like A Phoenix" at the Eurovision Song Contest grand finale on Saturday in Denmark. She has qualified for the finals.
2. Though Conchita has lot of fan following, she also has lot of critics from her own country as well around the world. She has been the subject of homophobic and transphobic attacks from Russia, Armenia and Belarus.
3. Conchita identifies as gender neutral but prefers to use female pronouns for herself (her/she rather than him/he).
4. When Conchita was still Neuwirth, he worked as a shop window decorator.
5. Neuwirth graduated from the Graz School of Fashion in 2011 and thus it shows in her unique fashion sense.
6. Conchita has an anti-Facebook page against her named Anti-Wurst.
7. Conchita says that she would like to keep her facial hair as it is even if it causes controversy. "You know, I have a very thick skin. It's just strange that a little facial hair causes that much excitement," Conchita told Associated press in an interview, according to Daily Mail.
8. Though Russia does not have laws that openly propagate gays and transgenders, Conchita claims that she has most fans in Russia. "I have to add that 80 percent of the autograph requests that I get are from Russia and eastern Europe - and that's what is important to me," Conchita revealed, according to Daily Mail.
9. Conchita was once a part of a boy band but it quickly broke up.
10. Just like many girls/boys of her age, Conchita too likes to take selfies and they can be seen on her Instagram account. Check out below.
Europe's biggest song contest Eurovision 2014 returns on Saturday 10 May on BBC. Denmark won 2013's competition and hence the capital city has been chosen to host the show this time around. Does Conchita stand the chance to win?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers: Calzona Still on Shaky Ground, April's Baby Bump Gets Real, Karev vs Bailey Anticipated
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools