Meet Female with a Beard - Drag Queen Conchita Wurst: Eurovision 2014 Most Popular Contestant
By nidhi tewari | May 9, 2014 5:55 PM EST
Conchita Wurst is gaining mass popularity as the Austrian transvestite contestant for the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest 2014. The 25-year-old drag queen who was born as Thomas Neuwirth but now prefers to be called a female - with a beard. Find out more about Conchita.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
1. Conchita is representing both masculine and feminine genders and is expected to sing the song "Rise Like A Phoenix" at the Eurovision Song Contest grand finale on Saturday in Denmark. She has qualified for the finals.
2. Though Conchita has lot of fan following, she also has lot of critics from her own country as well around the world. She has been the subject of homophobic and transphobic attacks from Russia, Armenia and Belarus.
3. Conchita identifies as gender neutral but prefers to use female pronouns for herself (her/she rather than him/he).
4. When Conchita was still Neuwirth, he worked as a shop window decorator.
5. Neuwirth graduated from the Graz School of Fashion in 2011 and thus it shows in her unique fashion sense.
6. Conchita has an anti-Facebook page against her named Anti-Wurst.
7. Conchita says that she would like to keep her facial hair as it is even if it causes controversy. "You know, I have a very thick skin. It's just strange that a little facial hair causes that much excitement," Conchita told Associated press in an interview, according to Daily Mail.
8. Though Russia does not have laws that openly propagate gays and transgenders, Conchita claims that she has most fans in Russia. "I have to add that 80 percent of the autograph requests that I get are from Russia and eastern Europe - and that's what is important to me," Conchita revealed, according to Daily Mail.
9. Conchita was once a part of a boy band but it quickly broke up.
10. Just like many girls/boys of her age, Conchita too likes to take selfies and they can be seen on her Instagram account. Check out below.
Europe's biggest song contest Eurovision 2014 returns on Saturday 10 May on BBC. Denmark won 2013's competition and hence the capital city has been chosen to host the show this time around. Does Conchita stand the chance to win?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best