Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Takes Austria to the 'Eurovision 2014' finals
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 9, 2014 5:51 PM EST
The results are in! At the conclusion of the second semi-final leg of the "2014 Eurovision Song Contest," the air was thick with anticipation as the winners were announced.
Ten acts will go through from each of the semi-final sessions and they will join six others who are automatically qualified for the finals to complete the twenty-six nation roster. The finals will be held on Saturday, May 10, 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The contest was not without controversy this year as the crowd loudly showed their disapproval by booing Russian contestants, the Tolmachevy twins. They eventually went through along with Ukrainian contestant Mariya Yaremchuk, whose country's current political situation is believed to be the reason for booing the Russians. Both countries made it to the finals along with other semi-finalists from Montenegro, Hungary, Armenia, Azerbaijan, San Marino, Sweden, Netherlands and Iceland.
The second semi-final did not have any antagonistic incidents despite online protests against Austria's drag queen contestant, Conchita Wurst.
The winners were announced at the end of the show and a long pause before announcing the last slot prompted the crowd to loudly cheer Wurst's name. In the end, the overwhelming support for the transvestite contestant saw him/her through to the finals. Austria will be joined in the finals by other winning semi-finalists Malta, Norway, Poland, Finland, Belarus, Switzerland, Greece, Slovenia and Romania.
Last year's winner, Denmark, is guaranteed a place, along with the other five nations labelled as the "big five" who financially support the organizers of the annual contest: Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date