Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Takes Austria to the 'Eurovision 2014' finals
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 9, 2014 5:51 PM EST
The results are in! At the conclusion of the second semi-final leg of the "2014 Eurovision Song Contest," the air was thick with anticipation as the winners were announced.
Ten acts will go through from each of the semi-final sessions and they will join six others who are automatically qualified for the finals to complete the twenty-six nation roster. The finals will be held on Saturday, May 10, 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The contest was not without controversy this year as the crowd loudly showed their disapproval by booing Russian contestants, the Tolmachevy twins. They eventually went through along with Ukrainian contestant Mariya Yaremchuk, whose country's current political situation is believed to be the reason for booing the Russians. Both countries made it to the finals along with other semi-finalists from Montenegro, Hungary, Armenia, Azerbaijan, San Marino, Sweden, Netherlands and Iceland.
The second semi-final did not have any antagonistic incidents despite online protests against Austria's drag queen contestant, Conchita Wurst.
The winners were announced at the end of the show and a long pause before announcing the last slot prompted the crowd to loudly cheer Wurst's name. In the end, the overwhelming support for the transvestite contestant saw him/her through to the finals. Austria will be joined in the finals by other winning semi-finalists Malta, Norway, Poland, Finland, Belarus, Switzerland, Greece, Slovenia and Romania.
Last year's winner, Denmark, is guaranteed a place, along with the other five nations labelled as the "big five" who financially support the organizers of the annual contest: Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage