Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Takes Austria to the 'Eurovision 2014' finals
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 9, 2014 5:51 PM EST
The results are in! At the conclusion of the second semi-final leg of the "2014 Eurovision Song Contest," the air was thick with anticipation as the winners were announced.
Ten acts will go through from each of the semi-final sessions and they will join six others who are automatically qualified for the finals to complete the twenty-six nation roster. The finals will be held on Saturday, May 10, 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The contest was not without controversy this year as the crowd loudly showed their disapproval by booing Russian contestants, the Tolmachevy twins. They eventually went through along with Ukrainian contestant Mariya Yaremchuk, whose country's current political situation is believed to be the reason for booing the Russians. Both countries made it to the finals along with other semi-finalists from Montenegro, Hungary, Armenia, Azerbaijan, San Marino, Sweden, Netherlands and Iceland.
The second semi-final did not have any antagonistic incidents despite online protests against Austria's drag queen contestant, Conchita Wurst.
The winners were announced at the end of the show and a long pause before announcing the last slot prompted the crowd to loudly cheer Wurst's name. In the end, the overwhelming support for the transvestite contestant saw him/her through to the finals. Austria will be joined in the finals by other winning semi-finalists Malta, Norway, Poland, Finland, Belarus, Switzerland, Greece, Slovenia and Romania.
Last year's winner, Denmark, is guaranteed a place, along with the other five nations labelled as the "big five" who financially support the organizers of the annual contest: Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan