Mars One: 44 Indians Shortlisted for One-Way Ticket to Mars
By Parismita Goswami | May 9, 2014 5:01 PM EST
Mars One, the Netherlands-based nonprofit organization has shortlisted 44 Indians including 17 women out of 705 for the planned one-way ticket to Mars in 2024. If the plan goes through, these 705 people wil become the first ones to establish a human settlement in the red planet.
Mars One: 44 Indians Shortlisted for One-Way Ticket to Mars (NASA)
The Indian applicants are from cities such as New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune, Kolkata and Thiruvanathapuram.
Applicants from more than 140 countries had applied for the initial interview round, out of which over 20,000 were Indians. 313 candidates were selected from the Americas, 136 from Asia, 41 from Africa, 187 from Europe and 28 from Oceania.
Amulya Nidhi Rastogi, an employee with a private firm in Gurgaon, got the news of being shortlisted for the personal interview for the one-way trip to Mars. "It was a birthday gift for me. I am so excited about the whole thing. I will now have to focus on the interview." Hindustan Times quoted Rastogi as saying.
"I was expecting to clear this round. It was my childhood dream to become an astronaut," said Vinod Kotiya, 31, from Bhopal.
"We are excited that 44 Indians have been shortlisted in round two. It shows that India is a major player in Mars trip and the chance of an Indian being selected for the final trip is pretty high." said Bas Lansdorp, Co-founder & CEO of Mars One.
In December 2013, Mars One had declared that 1058 aspirants were selected including 62 Indians from over 200,000 applicants.
After the round of interview, the number of candidates will be confined to several global teams comprising of two men and two women.
"Whole teams and individuals might be selected out during training when they prove not to be suitable for the mission," Business Standard quoted Mars One.
The selection process will be repeated in regular intervals to train added teams, in order to replace the eliminated teams.
Photo Credit: NASA
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal