14 ‘Dancing Frog’ Species Discovered In India
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 9, 2014 4:42 PM EST
A frog is pictured in Anan Lake near Lebanon's southern city of Sidon April 9, 2014.
The tiny acrobatic amphibians, which Indian biologists found, are known for their unusual kicks they use to entice mates. These frogs have, however, shown a dramatic decline in number over the last decade. Several of the species were chronicled through molecular DNA markers and morphological descriptions. The monsoon season of the year is when they breed in streams. However, the crisis seems to be the fact that their habitat has started to become exceedingly dry.
It is only the male frogs that dance. The size of the frog matters in dancing as bigger males dance more. The unique breeding behaviour is called foot-flagging where they extend, stretch and whip the legs out to the side for grabbing the female attention. The "dancing" is done for females that may have difficulty in hearing mating croaks because of the sound of the perennial streams.
The lead scientist of the project, Professor Sathyabhama Das Biju, said that it was "like a Hollywood movie, both joyful and sad." Time quoted the University of Delhi professor talking about the irony that the frogs were brought "into public knowledge" when around 80 per cent of the species are "outside protected areas." In certain places, Das said that "as if nature itself was crying."
Das also said that forest soils lost its moisture while perennial streams became inexplicably dry. He, on the other hand, admitted what his team observed about forest conditions was merely anecdotal. The researchers did not have enough resources or time for collecting data which might have proven the declining trends in amphibian habitats, which they thought they witnessed. After the discovery of these frog species, there are now 24 known Indian dancing frog species.
The research details were published in the Ceylon Journal of Science on Thursday, May 8.
Watch this video on the news.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October