14 ‘Dancing Frog’ Species Discovered In India
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 9, 2014 4:42 PM EST
A frog is pictured in Anan Lake near Lebanon's southern city of Sidon April 9, 2014.
The tiny acrobatic amphibians, which Indian biologists found, are known for their unusual kicks they use to entice mates. These frogs have, however, shown a dramatic decline in number over the last decade. Several of the species were chronicled through molecular DNA markers and morphological descriptions. The monsoon season of the year is when they breed in streams. However, the crisis seems to be the fact that their habitat has started to become exceedingly dry.
It is only the male frogs that dance. The size of the frog matters in dancing as bigger males dance more. The unique breeding behaviour is called foot-flagging where they extend, stretch and whip the legs out to the side for grabbing the female attention. The "dancing" is done for females that may have difficulty in hearing mating croaks because of the sound of the perennial streams.
The lead scientist of the project, Professor Sathyabhama Das Biju, said that it was "like a Hollywood movie, both joyful and sad." Time quoted the University of Delhi professor talking about the irony that the frogs were brought "into public knowledge" when around 80 per cent of the species are "outside protected areas." In certain places, Das said that "as if nature itself was crying."
Das also said that forest soils lost its moisture while perennial streams became inexplicably dry. He, on the other hand, admitted what his team observed about forest conditions was merely anecdotal. The researchers did not have enough resources or time for collecting data which might have proven the declining trends in amphibian habitats, which they thought they witnessed. After the discovery of these frog species, there are now 24 known Indian dancing frog species.
The research details were published in the Ceylon Journal of Science on Thursday, May 8.
Watch this video on the news.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Testicular Cancer Survivor Pushes 6-Foot Giant Ball Across The US To Create Awareness About Ailment
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date