14 ‘Dancing Frog’ Species Discovered In India
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 9, 2014 4:42 PM EST
A frog is pictured in Anan Lake near Lebanon's southern city of Sidon April 9, 2014.
The tiny acrobatic amphibians, which Indian biologists found, are known for their unusual kicks they use to entice mates. These frogs have, however, shown a dramatic decline in number over the last decade. Several of the species were chronicled through molecular DNA markers and morphological descriptions. The monsoon season of the year is when they breed in streams. However, the crisis seems to be the fact that their habitat has started to become exceedingly dry.
It is only the male frogs that dance. The size of the frog matters in dancing as bigger males dance more. The unique breeding behaviour is called foot-flagging where they extend, stretch and whip the legs out to the side for grabbing the female attention. The "dancing" is done for females that may have difficulty in hearing mating croaks because of the sound of the perennial streams.
The lead scientist of the project, Professor Sathyabhama Das Biju, said that it was "like a Hollywood movie, both joyful and sad." Time quoted the University of Delhi professor talking about the irony that the frogs were brought "into public knowledge" when around 80 per cent of the species are "outside protected areas." In certain places, Das said that "as if nature itself was crying."
Das also said that forest soils lost its moisture while perennial streams became inexplicably dry. He, on the other hand, admitted what his team observed about forest conditions was merely anecdotal. The researchers did not have enough resources or time for collecting data which might have proven the declining trends in amphibian habitats, which they thought they witnessed. After the discovery of these frog species, there are now 24 known Indian dancing frog species.
The research details were published in the Ceylon Journal of Science on Thursday, May 8.
Watch this video on the news.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports