Sony PlayStation Tops Best Selling Products of All-time; iPad at No. 5, iPhone no. 9
By Athena Yenko | May 9, 2014 4:35 PM EST
24/7 Wall Street examined products popularly purchased by consumers and listed individual products of the highest sales in their respective category and Best Selling Products of All-time.
"In some cases, we gathered figures from multiple sources and estimated the final sales figure. In other instances, where one company had a clear market lead, figures reflect data from previous years," Vince Calio, Thomas C Frohlich and Alexander E.M. Hess of Wall Street wrote.
Sony PlayStation tops the list with 344 million units sold since its launch in 1995. In 2000, PlayStation sold 70 million units ahead of PlayStation 2 release. In November 2013, PlayStation 3 which was launched in 2006, sold 80 million units.
The most recent PlayStation 4 sold 7 million units as of its April release date.
Apple Inc.'s iPad is at number 5 with 211 million units sold, maintaining its status as the best-selling tablet in the market. The company sold 16.4 million units for its second quarter alone. The first iPad was launched in 2010.
The iPhone, on the other hand, came in at number 9 with 516 million units sold, taking the market by a storm during its launch in 2007. A survey from Counterpoint Technology Research showed iPhone 5S and 5C being the two top-selling smartphones in February, lagging behind on number three was Samsung Galaxy S4.
Interestingly, Michael Jackson's Thriller, the bestselling album of all time, was at number 7 with 70 million units sold.
Another interesting name in the list is Star Wars franchise with total sales of $4.6 billion at number 4.
Mario Brothers Franchise, on the other hand, made it to number 6 with 262 million units sold, Harry Potter books is at number 7 with 450 million copies sold and Rubik's Cube at number 10 with 350 million.
Included in the top three are pharmaceutical Lipitor with $141 billion total sales at number two and at number is Corolla with total sales of 40.7 million.
"Creating the most popular product of the year will make consumers and investors happy. But making an all-time bestseller can transform an industry and define a business for decades," the authors wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier