Sony PlayStation Tops Best Selling Products of All-time; iPad at No. 5, iPhone no. 9
By Athena Yenko | May 9, 2014 4:35 PM EST
24/7 Wall Street examined products popularly purchased by consumers and listed individual products of the highest sales in their respective category and Best Selling Products of All-time.
"In some cases, we gathered figures from multiple sources and estimated the final sales figure. In other instances, where one company had a clear market lead, figures reflect data from previous years," Vince Calio, Thomas C Frohlich and Alexander E.M. Hess of Wall Street wrote.
Sony PlayStation tops the list with 344 million units sold since its launch in 1995. In 2000, PlayStation sold 70 million units ahead of PlayStation 2 release. In November 2013, PlayStation 3 which was launched in 2006, sold 80 million units.
The most recent PlayStation 4 sold 7 million units as of its April release date.
Apple Inc.'s iPad is at number 5 with 211 million units sold, maintaining its status as the best-selling tablet in the market. The company sold 16.4 million units for its second quarter alone. The first iPad was launched in 2010.
The iPhone, on the other hand, came in at number 9 with 516 million units sold, taking the market by a storm during its launch in 2007. A survey from Counterpoint Technology Research showed iPhone 5S and 5C being the two top-selling smartphones in February, lagging behind on number three was Samsung Galaxy S4.
Interestingly, Michael Jackson's Thriller, the bestselling album of all time, was at number 7 with 70 million units sold.
Another interesting name in the list is Star Wars franchise with total sales of $4.6 billion at number 4.
Mario Brothers Franchise, on the other hand, made it to number 6 with 262 million units sold, Harry Potter books is at number 7 with 450 million copies sold and Rubik's Cube at number 10 with 350 million.
Included in the top three are pharmaceutical Lipitor with $141 billion total sales at number two and at number is Corolla with total sales of 40.7 million.
"Creating the most popular product of the year will make consumers and investors happy. But making an all-time bestseller can transform an industry and define a business for decades," the authors wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers