Real Madrid Keen to Recruit Aussie Goalkeeper Mat Ryan in the Squad
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 9, 2014 4:31 PM EST
Spanish premier soccer club, Real Madrid has expressed interest on Aussie goalkeeper Mat Ryan, according to the statement of Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold.
The 22-year-old Socceroo goalkeeper currently plays for Club Bragge, a Belgian soccer club. Mat had earlier played under the leadership of Arnold in the A-League at the Central Coast Mariners.
Ryan was also looking forward to join the Australian World Cup squad after the retirement of Mark Schwarzar.
The new Sydney FC coach showered praises on the talented Ryan.
"Matty Ryan left here last year. He's gone across to Belgium and he's the best keeper in the league. I do believe - and I have heard - that he's getting interest from Real Madrid, he's been doing that well. That kid won't be fazed by anything," Arnold said.
The young and talented Mat Ryan played for the Central Coast Mariners junior team in the 2009 - 2010 season, after he was signed in the senior Mariners squad as a reserve goalkeeper. Ryan made his first A-League appearance in Round 4 of the 2010-2011 season against Sydney FC, which ended with 1-1 draw. His fault in the first match cost the opening goal for Sydney, but he was quite resilient to bounce back and gave a series of consistent performance.
In 2013, Ryan joined Belgian Pro League team Club Bragge and is still associated with the team.
Arnold also expressed his concern about the management of veteran footballers in the Australian team and believes the current national coach Ange Postecoglou may have to face a tough time.
"But knowing Ange, he'll do a great job and the players will be ready. Ange has stated from day one that he'll never be scared to give those kids the opportunity. Do they have the quality? I believe they do. No matter what team goes out there, they'll do Australia proud," Arnold added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James