NBA News: LeBron James Lands Role In Movie 'Trainwreck,' A Judd Apatow Comedy
By Tanya Diente | May 9, 2014 4:13 PM EST
The Miami Heat's LeBron James aka "King James," may not have earned an MVP this season, but he has landed a movie deal in "Trainwreck."
LeBron James is cast to star in "Trainwreck," a movie by Judd Apatow, the same director behind "Knock Up" and "The 40-Year Old Virgin." He will work alongside Tilda Swinton and pro wrestler John Cena.
Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitche
May 8, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) reacts during the second half in game two of the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs against the Brooklyn Nets at American Airlines Arena. Miami won 94-82.
"Trainwreck" is a comedy movie about a woman trying to gain control of her life back. It is written by standup comedian Amy Schumer who lead stars the film with Bill Hader.
So should we be expecting a few laughs out of LeBron? Or a wrestle with John Cena?
According to The Guardian, this will be LeBron James' first major film. His previous acting experience was a cameo role in in the TV series "Entourage." However, "Trainwreck" won't be the only film lineup for the NBA star. According to Deadline, he is also set to play in Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment's movie "Ballers." The film is a basketball comedy written by comedian Kevin Hart who also stars in the film.
"Ballers" is about a man (Hart) who lives in the shadow of his brother (James), but gets a chance to prove himself during a weekend basketball camp in Miami. Hart who stands 5'3 as opposed to James' 6'8 will literally live in James' shadow during filming (see photo). Plans for production of "Ballers" will start in summer when James has time off from basketball.
How good is LeBron in acting?
"LeBron James can do whatever he wants to do. You want to know why? LeBron James is a self-made man, so I think he can," co-star Kevin Hart said when asked by TMZ, in lieu of their movie together.
Mike Fleming Jr. of Deadline said James has been looking into a starring role in a movie for a couple of years now, and "Trainwreck" is just one of them.
LeBron James will also produce "Trainwreck" together with Rachel Winter (Dallas Buyers Club), and husband Terence. The movie will be released in July 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Bendable Galaxy S6 Release in 2015 Possible as Samsung Reveals Plans
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports