NBA News: LeBron James Lands Role In Movie 'Trainwreck,' A Judd Apatow Comedy
By Tanya Diente | May 9, 2014 4:13 PM EST
The Miami Heat's LeBron James aka "King James," may not have earned an MVP this season, but he has landed a movie deal in "Trainwreck."
LeBron James is cast to star in "Trainwreck," a movie by Judd Apatow, the same director behind "Knock Up" and "The 40-Year Old Virgin." He will work alongside Tilda Swinton and pro wrestler John Cena.
Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitche
May 8, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) reacts during the second half in game two of the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs against the Brooklyn Nets at American Airlines Arena. Miami won 94-82.
"Trainwreck" is a comedy movie about a woman trying to gain control of her life back. It is written by standup comedian Amy Schumer who lead stars the film with Bill Hader.
So should we be expecting a few laughs out of LeBron? Or a wrestle with John Cena?
According to The Guardian, this will be LeBron James' first major film. His previous acting experience was a cameo role in in the TV series "Entourage." However, "Trainwreck" won't be the only film lineup for the NBA star. According to Deadline, he is also set to play in Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment's movie "Ballers." The film is a basketball comedy written by comedian Kevin Hart who also stars in the film.
"Ballers" is about a man (Hart) who lives in the shadow of his brother (James), but gets a chance to prove himself during a weekend basketball camp in Miami. Hart who stands 5'3 as opposed to James' 6'8 will literally live in James' shadow during filming (see photo). Plans for production of "Ballers" will start in summer when James has time off from basketball.
How good is LeBron in acting?
"LeBron James can do whatever he wants to do. You want to know why? LeBron James is a self-made man, so I think he can," co-star Kevin Hart said when asked by TMZ, in lieu of their movie together.
Mike Fleming Jr. of Deadline said James has been looking into a starring role in a movie for a couple of years now, and "Trainwreck" is just one of them.
LeBron James will also produce "Trainwreck" together with Rachel Winter (Dallas Buyers Club), and husband Terence. The movie will be released in July 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet