NBA News: LeBron James Lands Role In Movie 'Trainwreck,' A Judd Apatow Comedy
By Tanya Diente | May 9, 2014 4:13 PM EST
The Miami Heat's LeBron James aka "King James," may not have earned an MVP this season, but he has landed a movie deal in "Trainwreck."
LeBron James is cast to star in "Trainwreck," a movie by Judd Apatow, the same director behind "Knock Up" and "The 40-Year Old Virgin." He will work alongside Tilda Swinton and pro wrestler John Cena.
Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitche
May 8, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) reacts during the second half in game two of the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs against the Brooklyn Nets at American Airlines Arena. Miami won 94-82.
"Trainwreck" is a comedy movie about a woman trying to gain control of her life back. It is written by standup comedian Amy Schumer who lead stars the film with Bill Hader.
So should we be expecting a few laughs out of LeBron? Or a wrestle with John Cena?
According to The Guardian, this will be LeBron James' first major film. His previous acting experience was a cameo role in in the TV series "Entourage." However, "Trainwreck" won't be the only film lineup for the NBA star. According to Deadline, he is also set to play in Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment's movie "Ballers." The film is a basketball comedy written by comedian Kevin Hart who also stars in the film.
"Ballers" is about a man (Hart) who lives in the shadow of his brother (James), but gets a chance to prove himself during a weekend basketball camp in Miami. Hart who stands 5'3 as opposed to James' 6'8 will literally live in James' shadow during filming (see photo). Plans for production of "Ballers" will start in summer when James has time off from basketball.
How good is LeBron in acting?
"LeBron James can do whatever he wants to do. You want to know why? LeBron James is a self-made man, so I think he can," co-star Kevin Hart said when asked by TMZ, in lieu of their movie together.
Mike Fleming Jr. of Deadline said James has been looking into a starring role in a movie for a couple of years now, and "Trainwreck" is just one of them.
LeBron James will also produce "Trainwreck" together with Rachel Winter (Dallas Buyers Club), and husband Terence. The movie will be released in July 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?