NBA News: LeBron James Lands Role In Movie 'Trainwreck,' A Judd Apatow Comedy
By Tanya Diente | May 9, 2014 4:13 PM EST
The Miami Heat's LeBron James aka "King James," may not have earned an MVP this season, but he has landed a movie deal in "Trainwreck."
LeBron James is cast to star in "Trainwreck," a movie by Judd Apatow, the same director behind "Knock Up" and "The 40-Year Old Virgin." He will work alongside Tilda Swinton and pro wrestler John Cena.
Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitche
May 8, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) reacts during the second half in game two of the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs against the Brooklyn Nets at American Airlines Arena. Miami won 94-82.
"Trainwreck" is a comedy movie about a woman trying to gain control of her life back. It is written by standup comedian Amy Schumer who lead stars the film with Bill Hader.
So should we be expecting a few laughs out of LeBron? Or a wrestle with John Cena?
According to The Guardian, this will be LeBron James' first major film. His previous acting experience was a cameo role in in the TV series "Entourage." However, "Trainwreck" won't be the only film lineup for the NBA star. According to Deadline, he is also set to play in Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment's movie "Ballers." The film is a basketball comedy written by comedian Kevin Hart who also stars in the film.
"Ballers" is about a man (Hart) who lives in the shadow of his brother (James), but gets a chance to prove himself during a weekend basketball camp in Miami. Hart who stands 5'3 as opposed to James' 6'8 will literally live in James' shadow during filming (see photo). Plans for production of "Ballers" will start in summer when James has time off from basketball.
How good is LeBron in acting?
"LeBron James can do whatever he wants to do. You want to know why? LeBron James is a self-made man, so I think he can," co-star Kevin Hart said when asked by TMZ, in lieu of their movie together.
Mike Fleming Jr. of Deadline said James has been looking into a starring role in a movie for a couple of years now, and "Trainwreck" is just one of them.
LeBron James will also produce "Trainwreck" together with Rachel Winter (Dallas Buyers Club), and husband Terence. The movie will be released in July 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People