Canada's Giant Crater Formed by Ancient Meteorite, Researchers Claim
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 9, 2014 3:34 PM EST
According to researchers, the Bow City crater - the ancient ring-shaped structure situated in southern Alberta in Canada was likely to have been formed after a meteorite hit the Earth. Eventually it produced a crater which was 8-km-wide. The impact of the meteorite would apparently have produced so much energy that a region as large as New York City could be destroyed.
Even though scientists cannot be quite sure that it was the impact of the meteorite that formed the Bow City crater. However, there are geological and seismic evidence that strongly support the notion. Glaciers and time have managed to erode most of the signs of the meteorite strike that occurred ages back.
Rock Physics expert Doug Schmitt said that an impact of such magnitude would kill everything for quite a distance. If the meteorite strike happened at present, the city of Calgary - around 125 miles to the northwest - would have been "completely fried," he said. On the other hand, such an attack today would be blown out every window in Edmonton - around 300 miles northwest, Live Science reported.
According to researchers, the meteorite strike took place around 70 million years ago. Since then, a layer of sediment (around 1.5 km deep) has eroded. That is why it has become so much difficult to determine the exact date when the crater was created. It is only the "roots" that are left in the crater which probably was around 2.4 km deep. The impact was apparently strong enough to devastate life in the region. Researchers said that the debris sprayed out by the meteorite could have possibly caused global damages for decades.
The site was discovered by geologist Paul Glombick in 2009 when the Alberta Geological Survey was geologically mapping the region. Mr Glombick noticed the odd structure in the geophysical log data from the oil and gas industry. When Mr Schmidt was contacted by the Alberta Geological Survey, he confirmed the structure with the help of seismic data.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Facts On ALS Disease: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Camel Milk Holds Answer for Diabetes, Autism, Lactose Intolerance, Allergies
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter