Samsung Galaxy S5 Will Get KitKat 4.4.3 Soon; GS5 Prime Likely First In-Line for Android Bump Up – Reports
By Erik Pineda | May 9, 2014 3:13 PM EST
Samsung will soon roll out its TouchWiz-laced KitKat 4.4.2 update for a bunch of Galaxy smartphones excluding the 2014 flagship Galaxy S5 because the device is designed for a leapfrog to build 4.4.3, new reports said.
Samsung Galaxy S5
According to SamMobile, "Samsung has started testing Android 4.4.3 for the Galaxy S5," but there was no mention on when the software will touch down exactly. Noting, however, that the company is still testing the soon-to-unwrap KitKat version, it could take weeks or even months before the upgrade move is finally implemented.
Recall that the Android jump was promised by the Galaxy maker as early as February 2014 and back then the list provided also covered Galaxy tablets.
Now as rumours build up that Samsung, despite declaring otherwise, is soon pushing out the heavily-speculated Galaxy S5 Prime, it could be the first device from the South Korean tech giant that will get to taste the improved KitKat candy bar.
A BGR report has indicated that Samsung plans to unbox the GS5 Prime anytime in June 2014 and it will become immediately available in the same month. If Samsung engineers have completed the 4.4.3 testing, then the same device will be unwrapped with the new KitKat sweet at the same time.
It appears too that the GS5 is not the only Galaxy phones that will get KitKat 4.4.3 outright and skip 4.4.2, the SamMobile report said. "Some of the devices in the list might upgrade directly to 4.4.3 instead of 4.4.2," added the Samsung-centric tech site.
The 'list' mentions the following:
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S4 Mini
- Galaxy Note 3 Neo
- Galaxy Grand 2
- Galaxy Mega 5.8
- Galaxy Mega 6.3
In the same report, the devices mentioned above are slated to chew in 4.4.2 once it becomes available but there is one sad note for Galaxy S3 owners across the globe - updating to the next available KitKat has been suspended indefinitely.
In the GS3, "Samsung is having a bit of trouble implementing its TouchWiz applications, which is stopping the device from loading system apps," SamMobile reported.
And the likelihood is, the Galaxy S5 and the GS5 Prime, for that matter, will be on KitKat 4.4.3 already even before the Galaxy S3 gets to strut its wares the KitKat 4.4.2 way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell