Samsung Galaxy S5 Will Get KitKat 4.4.3 Soon; GS5 Prime Likely First In-Line for Android Bump Up – Reports
By Erik Pineda | May 9, 2014 3:13 PM EST
Samsung will soon roll out its TouchWiz-laced KitKat 4.4.2 update for a bunch of Galaxy smartphones excluding the 2014 flagship Galaxy S5 because the device is designed for a leapfrog to build 4.4.3, new reports said.
Samsung Galaxy S5
According to SamMobile, "Samsung has started testing Android 4.4.3 for the Galaxy S5," but there was no mention on when the software will touch down exactly. Noting, however, that the company is still testing the soon-to-unwrap KitKat version, it could take weeks or even months before the upgrade move is finally implemented.
Recall that the Android jump was promised by the Galaxy maker as early as February 2014 and back then the list provided also covered Galaxy tablets.
Now as rumours build up that Samsung, despite declaring otherwise, is soon pushing out the heavily-speculated Galaxy S5 Prime, it could be the first device from the South Korean tech giant that will get to taste the improved KitKat candy bar.
A BGR report has indicated that Samsung plans to unbox the GS5 Prime anytime in June 2014 and it will become immediately available in the same month. If Samsung engineers have completed the 4.4.3 testing, then the same device will be unwrapped with the new KitKat sweet at the same time.
It appears too that the GS5 is not the only Galaxy phones that will get KitKat 4.4.3 outright and skip 4.4.2, the SamMobile report said. "Some of the devices in the list might upgrade directly to 4.4.3 instead of 4.4.2," added the Samsung-centric tech site.
The 'list' mentions the following:
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S4 Mini
- Galaxy Note 3 Neo
- Galaxy Grand 2
- Galaxy Mega 5.8
- Galaxy Mega 6.3
In the same report, the devices mentioned above are slated to chew in 4.4.2 once it becomes available but there is one sad note for Galaxy S3 owners across the globe - updating to the next available KitKat has been suspended indefinitely.
In the GS3, "Samsung is having a bit of trouble implementing its TouchWiz applications, which is stopping the device from loading system apps," SamMobile reported.
And the likelihood is, the Galaxy S5 and the GS5 Prime, for that matter, will be on KitKat 4.4.3 already even before the Galaxy S3 gets to strut its wares the KitKat 4.4.2 way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change