Manchester United Awards Night: David De Gea Named Player of the Year, Life Time Achievement Award for Ryan Giggs
By Deepak Vikraman | May 9, 2014 2:57 PM EST
David De Gea took home the two top prizes at Manchester United's annual awards night, while Ryan Giggs was honoured with the first Lifetime Achievement Award.
De Gea has been the most consistent player for United this season, something that cannot be said of many of his teammates, and the Spanish goalkeeper deservedly walked away with the Players' Player of the Year award as well as the prestigious Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year voted by the fans.
"I'm really happy to win this honour," De Gea said after picking up the Players' Player of the Year gong. "I'm very grateful. Sometimes it's important for your teammates to give you confidence and I think they're some of the best teammates you can have.
"I tried to do my best this year and I think it was my best season so far. I felt really good and confident. I will try to do the same for next season."
De Gea was the clear winner in the fan voting, winning 54 percent of the votes, with Wayne Rooney coming in a distant second after garnering 26 percent votes. Adnan Januzaj, who had a breakout season, was third with 5 percent.
"I want to thank the fans," De Gea added. "From my very first day at the club, I have felt their love and I'm really happy. For them, we will try next season to do our best again."
An emotional Giggs was overwhelmed after winning the Lifetime Achievement Award, with the United legend given a special video tribute by several big names, including former teammates.
"I'm not usually an emotional person," Giggs said while picking up the honour. "But this has touched me. To receive this Lifetime Achievement is something special, one of the most special awards I've ever received.
"This club touches everyone's heart. It's not only a club, it's a family. So many special people have been a part of that, so for me to win this is emotional and it's a special night for me.
"I've played with so many great players who have had a massive impact on me, and of course Sir Alex Ferguson, who has been the single biggest influence on my career. I'm a lucky man."
Giggs, who will take charge of his final game as interim manager at Southampton on Sunday, insisted United will bounce back from this terrible season which has seen them not even come remotely close to finishing in the top four.
"I think I summed it up on Tuesday, when I said it's been a disappointing season," Giggs was quoted as saying by the club's official website. "Just like a player when you have setbacks, if you're a proper player, you come back. If you're a proper team and a proper club, which we are, you always bounce back.
"In my first full season we lost out to Leeds in the league and I was sat in the dressing room as an 18-year-old watching grown men cry. I saw then how much football, how much winning meant to people. How much it meant to professionals.
"We came back the next year and won the league for the first time in 26 years. There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll be back next season and we'll be challenging. That's what proper clubs do, they have setbacks and they come back stronger."
James Wilson, who announced himself to the Premier League with two goals against Hull on Tuesday, was named the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year, while Saidy Janko won the Denzil Haroun Reserves Player of the Year Award.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown