Graham Arnold Needs Another Superstar Like Alessandro Del Piero for Sydney FC
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 9, 2014 2:53 PM EST
The newly appointed Sydney FC coach, Graham Arnold, expressed his desire to add one foreign player in the squad after the end of Italian superstar Alessandro Del Pierro's tenure.
Graham said Del Pierro was irreplaceable. Moreover, the departure of Australian star player Brett Emerton left the club somewhat vacant.
Some names of internationally famed players like Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka, Diego Forlan and Frank Lampard came into the spotlight as a possible inclusion, but nothing has been confirmed so far.
"I wouldn't say I was never a fan of marquees. I just worked at a club that could never afford to have a marquee ... But if you look at what Alessandro Del Piero did for this league and for this club, it's massive ... We have to take our time to get the right ones who can have an impact like Alessandro did ... We'll never match that type of player with our next marquee in status but we have to try and match that in performance," Graham said.
Arnold, who had been in talks with several soccer clubs, finally joined the Sydney FC, replacing former coach Frank Farina.
Scott Barlow, chairman of the Sydney FC, acknowledged the fact of constant changes in coaches, but stated the club was keen to build a long-term relationship with Arnold.
Barlow further mentioned that the club is looking forward to see Sydney FC reach the Asian Championship League, tapping on the vast experience of the new coach.
"We want to be competing in Asia regularly and, clearly, that requires us to have domestic success...Having said that, patience is key," Barlow said.
Identity crisis was cited the main reason for Sydney's lack of success.
"Now the identity has to be that we are the biggest football club in this country ... We have to believe that - we have to show that ... and the only way of doing that is getting success on the pitch ... It will be made clear to the players that I haven't come here to be happy with mediocrity. I've come here to achieve success," Barlow added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance