Graham Arnold Needs Another Superstar Like Alessandro Del Piero for Sydney FC
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 9, 2014 2:53 PM EST
The newly appointed Sydney FC coach, Graham Arnold, expressed his desire to add one foreign player in the squad after the end of Italian superstar Alessandro Del Pierro's tenure.
Graham said Del Pierro was irreplaceable. Moreover, the departure of Australian star player Brett Emerton left the club somewhat vacant.
Some names of internationally famed players like Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka, Diego Forlan and Frank Lampard came into the spotlight as a possible inclusion, but nothing has been confirmed so far.
"I wouldn't say I was never a fan of marquees. I just worked at a club that could never afford to have a marquee ... But if you look at what Alessandro Del Piero did for this league and for this club, it's massive ... We have to take our time to get the right ones who can have an impact like Alessandro did ... We'll never match that type of player with our next marquee in status but we have to try and match that in performance," Graham said.
Arnold, who had been in talks with several soccer clubs, finally joined the Sydney FC, replacing former coach Frank Farina.
Scott Barlow, chairman of the Sydney FC, acknowledged the fact of constant changes in coaches, but stated the club was keen to build a long-term relationship with Arnold.
Barlow further mentioned that the club is looking forward to see Sydney FC reach the Asian Championship League, tapping on the vast experience of the new coach.
"We want to be competing in Asia regularly and, clearly, that requires us to have domestic success...Having said that, patience is key," Barlow said.
Identity crisis was cited the main reason for Sydney's lack of success.
"Now the identity has to be that we are the biggest football club in this country ... We have to believe that - we have to show that ... and the only way of doing that is getting success on the pitch ... It will be made clear to the players that I haven't come here to be happy with mediocrity. I've come here to achieve success," Barlow added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]