English Premiere League Set to Limit Foreign Imports
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 9, 2014 2:51 PM EST
In a bid to promote local talent, the English Football Association is making steps towards limiting the number of Non-European Union players in the English Premiere League. A 10-man FA commission which includes Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand and National Team Manager Roy Hodgson, was formed to investigate the issue.
England skipper Steven Gerrard and manager Roy Hodgson attend a press conference ahead of their friendly against Denmark, 4 March. Reuters
Only 66 English players who are currently eligible to represent England are playing for one of the 20 EPL teams. English FA Chairman Greg Dyke wants to increase that number to 90 by 2022.
One proposal being put forward to achieve this goal is a stricter policy on issuing work permits for foreign athletes. This calls for the implementation of a blanket ban for Non-EU players for clubs that are not in the Premiere League.
According to a BBC study commissioned by Dyke in October 2013, the highly successful Spanish National Team which has won the last two European Championships and the 2010 FIFA World Cup has local players on the pitch for 59% of the top flight minutes. Germany, another successful national team, has local players on the pitch for 50% of Bundesliga minutes. English players on the other hand, account for only 32% of Premiership pitch time.
The underperforming English national team has only reached the semi-finals of only two major international events since 1966 when they won the FIFA World Cup at home.
England Manager Roy Hodgson is set to reveal his 23-man squad on Monday for the upcoming World Cup finals in Brazil. The FA commission fears that if the trend continues, future England managers might not have enough players to choose from when building a national team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports