Manchester United Transfer News: PSG Play Down Striker Move
By Deepak Vikraman | May 9, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Paris Saint-Germain do not envisage Edinson Cavani leaving the Parc Des Princes to pastures anew in the summer, according to the club's president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.
Cavani has been heavily linked with a summer move to Manchester United and Chelsea, with Uruguayan striker reportedly unhappy with his playing position in the team.
The former Napoli striker has been used on the right hand side for PSG by Laurent Blanc, with the manager preferring Zlatan Ibrahimovic for the central position.
That situation has led to speculation of a possible move away from the club when the summer transfer window opens, but as far as Al-Khelaifi is concerned Cavani will remain a PSG player come the start of next season.
"Cavani? He will stay here -- he has a contract with us," Al-Khelaifi told Canal+.
PSG clinched the Ligue 1 title on Wednesday with their closest competitors Monaco only managing a draw. The capital side's resurgence has been solely down to new investment from Qatari owners, with the club now facing strong Financial Fair Play sanctions from UEFA for breaching their rules.
Al-Khelaifi, though, insisted he is not too concerned with the situation and remains confident of continuing PSG's big plans for the future, which includes keeping their best players, while adding a few more.
"About Financial Fair Play, I am still very confident, we are still in talks with UEFA," he added. "I can't confirm the sanctions, but we will play in the Champions League, maybe with certain conditions.
"We are going on with our project and no one can stop us from dreaming."
Manchester United are desperate for several big-name signings in the summer, with Louis Van Gaal, who is expected to be named the new manager next week, set to be given a big transfer chest.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who was heavily criticised for bungling transfers last summer, is thought to have already identified several targets, and will look to finalise a few once he holds talks with Van Gaal.
The likes of Thomas Muller, Toni Kroos, Marco Reus and William Carvalho have been linked with moves to Old Trafford apart from Cavani, and it will be interesting to see just how many big players Woodward and co. can induce to United, with the Red Devils missing out on the Champions League for next season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features