Manchester United Transfer News: PSG Play Down Striker Move
By Deepak Vikraman | May 9, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Paris Saint-Germain do not envisage Edinson Cavani leaving the Parc Des Princes to pastures anew in the summer, according to the club's president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.
Cavani has been heavily linked with a summer move to Manchester United and Chelsea, with Uruguayan striker reportedly unhappy with his playing position in the team.
The former Napoli striker has been used on the right hand side for PSG by Laurent Blanc, with the manager preferring Zlatan Ibrahimovic for the central position.
That situation has led to speculation of a possible move away from the club when the summer transfer window opens, but as far as Al-Khelaifi is concerned Cavani will remain a PSG player come the start of next season.
"Cavani? He will stay here -- he has a contract with us," Al-Khelaifi told Canal+.
PSG clinched the Ligue 1 title on Wednesday with their closest competitors Monaco only managing a draw. The capital side's resurgence has been solely down to new investment from Qatari owners, with the club now facing strong Financial Fair Play sanctions from UEFA for breaching their rules.
Al-Khelaifi, though, insisted he is not too concerned with the situation and remains confident of continuing PSG's big plans for the future, which includes keeping their best players, while adding a few more.
"About Financial Fair Play, I am still very confident, we are still in talks with UEFA," he added. "I can't confirm the sanctions, but we will play in the Champions League, maybe with certain conditions.
"We are going on with our project and no one can stop us from dreaming."
Manchester United are desperate for several big-name signings in the summer, with Louis Van Gaal, who is expected to be named the new manager next week, set to be given a big transfer chest.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who was heavily criticised for bungling transfers last summer, is thought to have already identified several targets, and will look to finalise a few once he holds talks with Van Gaal.
The likes of Thomas Muller, Toni Kroos, Marco Reus and William Carvalho have been linked with moves to Old Trafford apart from Cavani, and it will be interesting to see just how many big players Woodward and co. can induce to United, with the Red Devils missing out on the Champions League for next season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6