IPL 2014: Bhuvneshwar Kumar Lauds 'Complete Bowling Performance' From SRH after Big Win over Royals
By Deepak Vikraman | May 9, 2014 2:12 PM EST
When defending a low total, like the Sunrisers Hyderabad regularly seem to do, the most crucial aspect is to pick up early wickets. That job becomes a lot easier, and likely even, when you have the likes of Bhuvneshwar Kumar and the incomparable Dale Steyn in your ranks.
Staring at a possible fifth defeat in seven matches, the Sunrisers bowlers came to the fore in some style to restrict the in-form Rajasthan Royals to a score just above 100 and pick up a much-needed victory.
Bhuvneshwar was the catalyst towards the win, picking up the big wicket of Ajinkya Rahane in the first over, before snuffing out any chances of a late comeback from the Royals by snatching three wickets in on over.
"We have one of the best bowling lineups in the IPL and we knew the wicket was not easy to bat on," Kumar told IPL's official website after SRH's 32-run win on Thursday night. "It was a slow wicket and a turning one and we were confident that we could defend the low score.
"Tonight, we showed what we are known for and this will keep us in a good frame of mind for the matches to come. This performance and win will not only boost my confidence, but also the team's morale in the tournament.
"The most satisfying thing about this performance is that it came at a time when we needed it the most. We were a bit low on confidence and this win will definitely boost us for rest of the tournament."
SRH could not have scripted a better bowling and fielding performance, with the fast bowlers scalping a couple of big wickets early on, before the spinners did their business by keeping the runs down to a minimum. The fielding was also outstanding, with that David Warner run out to end a crucial partnership between Steven Smith and Stuart Binny worth the price of the ticket on its own.
"Dale Steyn and I got the team off to a good start, whereas Karn Sharma and Amit Mishra kept it tight in the middle overs, which was very crucial," Kumar added. "Towards the death, Dale, Irfan Pathan and myself again got wickets when needed to round off a complete bowling performance by the side.
"Our fielding was brilliant too. The timing of David Warner's run out to get rid of Stuart Binny was perfect. Similarly, Irfan Pathan kept his cool to take a stunning catch to dismiss Steven Smith, which helped in turning the game in our favour. You need moments like these while defending small totals."
The four for 14 figures for Kumar helped him take ownership IPL Purple Cap for the moment, with the SRH swing bowler jumping to 14 wickets in IPL 2014, tied with CSK's Mohit Sharma.
"Being a bowler, you always want to cling on to the Purple Cap," Kumar said. "There is still a lot of cricket to be played and there are others on the list vying for the cap. All I can do is perform to the best of my abilities and try and hold on to it."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique