Tony Abbott’s Daughter Smokes in Public, So Much for Australia’s Stiff Tobacco Policy
By Athena Yenko | May 9, 2014 12:28 PM EST
On November 28 2012, the World Health Organisation lauded Australia for its strict stance on its tobacco plain packaging policy.
"With Australia's victory, public health enters a brave new world of tobacco control. Plain packaging is a highly effective way to counter industry's ruthless marketing tactics. It is also fully in line with the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. The lawsuit filed by Big Tobacco look like the death throes of a desperate industry. With so many countries lined up to ride on Australia's coattails, what we hope to see is a domino effect for the good of public health."
On December 2012, Australia made a world's first record as the plain packaging law officially took effect.
"1 December 2012 will remain a memorable day in the history of the fight against tobacco worldwide. On this day, Australia's world-first laws on tobacco plain packaging came into full effect."
In lieu of the case against Canberra lodged by Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Honduras, alleging that Australia's policy breached their trading rights, Australia showed its robust stance on tobacco policy.
A spokesperson for Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade told AFP that the policy was first and foremost aimed to protect public health.
"Tobacco plain packaging is a legitimate measure designed to achieve a fundamental objective: the protection of public health. Australia will vigorously defend the challenges to tobacco plain packaging in the WTO. Australia is confident the tobacco plain packaging measure is consistent with WTO obligations. Introducing tobacco plain packaging was the next logical step to restrict promotional material on tobacco products, closing one of the few remaining avenues for tobacco advertising in Australia."
So much so that Prime Minister Tony Abbott's daughter Frances, 22, was photographed smoking in public with new boyfriend Lindsay Smith. She was seated at a bus stop while taking a break outside the Dolce & Gabbana fashion event in Melbourne.
Mr Abbot's daughters had taken over the limelight since he started campaigning for the prime ministership seat.
As recalled, Mr Abbott refers to his daughters, Louise, Frances and Bridget as his "best asset". During the campaign period he even joked about himself as "the guy with the not bad looking daughters."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers