Google Updates: Google Play 4.4 Changes for Devs, Google Drive’s Sheets and Docs Apps, and Google Camera Gets Image Capture
By Gel Galang | May 9, 2014 11:27 AM EST
Android users who have been keeping their devices up to date may have already upgraded to Google Play Services 4.4, as the powerhouse has already rolled out the update to devices worldwide.
While the main point of this device is geared for improvements for developers rather than additional features users can enjoy, there are a few add-ons like Location, Games Services, Wallet API and Mobile Ads.
NDTV reports the new API allows for the use of Street View imagery via third-party apps to further utilise the panoramic 360-degree view of an activity. Location allows for detection of running and walking, which devs can also take advantage of.
The Game Services update will allow Android users to select a number of recipients of Game Gifts, while Mobile Ads APIs are more for publishers who may want to put promo ads in-apps. The Google Wallet API is more for allowing purchase to be more easily included by developers.
Google Drive Needs New Apps for Editing
Editing shared or stored documents and spreadsheets online via the Google Drive will require two new apps now that Google has updated the service in the Play Store. According to Android Central, users now need the Sheets and Docs apps if they want to do some editing, as the Drive app now becomes solely for viewing and managing files online.
Before users say "hassle," this actually can become more convenient for those who may not have Internet connection during the time of editing. Docs and Sheets apps allow users to edit files even without Internet.
The update is pretty much a requirement the moment users try downloading a document or a spreadsheet, so expect to be prompted to download the two apps.
Image Capture While Recording Vids Now Possible for Android Devices
Another Google app that will be getting a slight revamp with a new update is the Google Camera. It brings in ability to capture a snapshot of a scene that users are also recording on video.
This newest Google Camera update (rolling out now to all Android devices) will allow the app to at least be at par once more with other camera apps that have basically similar functions. According to Phandroid, this is a return of the capability, which users can do for themselves just by tapping on the screen during the recording.
However, it may not be the best quality screenshot users can take, as it makes use of a screenshot rather than utilising hardware camera that features the full resolution specs. It's still below par with other capabilities of Android phones, like the HTC One M8 that can make use of 4 megapixels to capture the screenshot.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Windows Phone 8.1 for Nokia Lumia 1520: How to Downgrade to Get Lumia Cyan Update for Preview for Developers
- Minecraft 1.8 Snapshot 14w30c Released; Partnership with Lego to Reveal Toys This Fall
- HTC One M8: Red and Pink Colour Choices Confirmed in the UK, Pre-Orders on Android Smartphone Now Available with Free Dot View Case
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Breakdown for Developer and Unlocked Version
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide