Google Updates: Google Play 4.4 Changes for Devs, Google Drive’s Sheets and Docs Apps, and Google Camera Gets Image Capture
By Gel Galang | May 9, 2014 11:27 AM EST
Android users who have been keeping their devices up to date may have already upgraded to Google Play Services 4.4, as the powerhouse has already rolled out the update to devices worldwide.
While the main point of this device is geared for improvements for developers rather than additional features users can enjoy, there are a few add-ons like Location, Games Services, Wallet API and Mobile Ads.
NDTV reports the new API allows for the use of Street View imagery via third-party apps to further utilise the panoramic 360-degree view of an activity. Location allows for detection of running and walking, which devs can also take advantage of.
The Game Services update will allow Android users to select a number of recipients of Game Gifts, while Mobile Ads APIs are more for publishers who may want to put promo ads in-apps. The Google Wallet API is more for allowing purchase to be more easily included by developers.
Google Drive Needs New Apps for Editing
Editing shared or stored documents and spreadsheets online via the Google Drive will require two new apps now that Google has updated the service in the Play Store. According to Android Central, users now need the Sheets and Docs apps if they want to do some editing, as the Drive app now becomes solely for viewing and managing files online.
Before users say "hassle," this actually can become more convenient for those who may not have Internet connection during the time of editing. Docs and Sheets apps allow users to edit files even without Internet.
The update is pretty much a requirement the moment users try downloading a document or a spreadsheet, so expect to be prompted to download the two apps.
Image Capture While Recording Vids Now Possible for Android Devices
Another Google app that will be getting a slight revamp with a new update is the Google Camera. It brings in ability to capture a snapshot of a scene that users are also recording on video.
This newest Google Camera update (rolling out now to all Android devices) will allow the app to at least be at par once more with other camera apps that have basically similar functions. According to Phandroid, this is a return of the capability, which users can do for themselves just by tapping on the screen during the recording.
However, it may not be the best quality screenshot users can take, as it makes use of a screenshot rather than utilising hardware camera that features the full resolution specs. It's still below par with other capabilities of Android phones, like the HTC One M8 that can make use of 4 megapixels to capture the screenshot.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28