Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao Will Be Playing Coach of a Philippine Basketball Team Beginning Oct 21
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 9, 2014 8:53 AM EST
Eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao appears to be paving the way for his retirement from boxing after regaining the WBO welterweight title from erstwhile unbeaten American boxer Timothy Bradley on April 12.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
On Thursday, Pacquiao announced that beginning Oct 21, he will be the playing coach of Kia Motors when the expanded team debuts at the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA). Kia was accepted in the PBA in April.
The 35-year-old Filipino boxer and congressman disclosed the latest development in his sports career after a meeting on the same day with Ginia Domingo, head of Columbia Autocar, the distributor of Kia cars in the Philippines.
He said he has not signed yet a contract with Kia, but considers the deal done.
Pacquiao disclosed that in wanting to be a playing coach, he wants to follow the footstep of Filipino basketball icon, Robert Jaworski, who was a top player and eventually became playing coach. Like Pacquiao, Jaworski eventually branched out into politics and became a senator.
While he is known for his deadly left hook, Pacquiao said he has enough coaching skills since he actually coaches Team Pacquiao basketball touring team when it joins various minor leagues.
Some sports observers may see in Pacquiao's surprise move his way of saying goodbye to boxing amid observations that even if many admired his convincing win over Bradley, the southpaw's punching power has considerably weakened due to age and he has not knocked out an opponent in six years.
Pacquiao said that he has cleared his plan to be a playing coach with Top Rank boss Bob Arum even as he assured boxing fans he won't hang his gloves just yet.
"I'm just a coach. I'll play once in a while, but there are a lot of players. The important thing is we win," Spin.ph quoted Pacquiao.
Notwithstanding that Filipinos are basketball fanatics more than boxing - except when it's Manny who is inside the ring - many of Pacquiao's fans are hoping that the Dream Match against Floyd Mayweather Jr would still take place for the two great pugilists to finally settle the question who really deserves the title pound-for-pound king.
And in case Mayweather wins, Pacquiao can perhaps settle for another title: rebound-for-rebound king!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown