Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao Will Be Playing Coach of a Philippine Basketball Team Beginning Oct 21
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 9, 2014 8:53 AM EST
Eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao appears to be paving the way for his retirement from boxing after regaining the WBO welterweight title from erstwhile unbeaten American boxer Timothy Bradley on April 12.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
On Thursday, Pacquiao announced that beginning Oct 21, he will be the playing coach of Kia Motors when the expanded team debuts at the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA). Kia was accepted in the PBA in April.
The 35-year-old Filipino boxer and congressman disclosed the latest development in his sports career after a meeting on the same day with Ginia Domingo, head of Columbia Autocar, the distributor of Kia cars in the Philippines.
He said he has not signed yet a contract with Kia, but considers the deal done.
Pacquiao disclosed that in wanting to be a playing coach, he wants to follow the footstep of Filipino basketball icon, Robert Jaworski, who was a top player and eventually became playing coach. Like Pacquiao, Jaworski eventually branched out into politics and became a senator.
While he is known for his deadly left hook, Pacquiao said he has enough coaching skills since he actually coaches Team Pacquiao basketball touring team when it joins various minor leagues.
Some sports observers may see in Pacquiao's surprise move his way of saying goodbye to boxing amid observations that even if many admired his convincing win over Bradley, the southpaw's punching power has considerably weakened due to age and he has not knocked out an opponent in six years.
Pacquiao said that he has cleared his plan to be a playing coach with Top Rank boss Bob Arum even as he assured boxing fans he won't hang his gloves just yet.
"I'm just a coach. I'll play once in a while, but there are a lot of players. The important thing is we win," Spin.ph quoted Pacquiao.
Notwithstanding that Filipinos are basketball fanatics more than boxing - except when it's Manny who is inside the ring - many of Pacquiao's fans are hoping that the Dream Match against Floyd Mayweather Jr would still take place for the two great pugilists to finally settle the question who really deserves the title pound-for-pound king.
And in case Mayweather wins, Pacquiao can perhaps settle for another title: rebound-for-rebound king!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World