Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao Will Be Playing Coach of a Philippine Basketball Team Beginning Oct 21
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 9, 2014 8:53 AM EST
Eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao appears to be paving the way for his retirement from boxing after regaining the WBO welterweight title from erstwhile unbeaten American boxer Timothy Bradley on April 12.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
On Thursday, Pacquiao announced that beginning Oct 21, he will be the playing coach of Kia Motors when the expanded team debuts at the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA). Kia was accepted in the PBA in April.
The 35-year-old Filipino boxer and congressman disclosed the latest development in his sports career after a meeting on the same day with Ginia Domingo, head of Columbia Autocar, the distributor of Kia cars in the Philippines.
He said he has not signed yet a contract with Kia, but considers the deal done.
Pacquiao disclosed that in wanting to be a playing coach, he wants to follow the footstep of Filipino basketball icon, Robert Jaworski, who was a top player and eventually became playing coach. Like Pacquiao, Jaworski eventually branched out into politics and became a senator.
While he is known for his deadly left hook, Pacquiao said he has enough coaching skills since he actually coaches Team Pacquiao basketball touring team when it joins various minor leagues.
Some sports observers may see in Pacquiao's surprise move his way of saying goodbye to boxing amid observations that even if many admired his convincing win over Bradley, the southpaw's punching power has considerably weakened due to age and he has not knocked out an opponent in six years.
Pacquiao said that he has cleared his plan to be a playing coach with Top Rank boss Bob Arum even as he assured boxing fans he won't hang his gloves just yet.
"I'm just a coach. I'll play once in a while, but there are a lot of players. The important thing is we win," Spin.ph quoted Pacquiao.
Notwithstanding that Filipinos are basketball fanatics more than boxing - except when it's Manny who is inside the ring - many of Pacquiao's fans are hoping that the Dream Match against Floyd Mayweather Jr would still take place for the two great pugilists to finally settle the question who really deserves the title pound-for-pound king.
And in case Mayweather wins, Pacquiao can perhaps settle for another title: rebound-for-rebound king!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales