Helena Costa, the First Female Soccer Coach for France’s Clermont Foot, Was Cover Girl of GQ Portugal November 2009 Edition
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 9, 2014 8:45 AM EST
Portuguese Helena Costa made sports history on Wednesday by being hired as coach of the French second-division soccer team Clermont Foot. She replaced outgoing coach Regis Brouard and is the second female coach of a male soccer team.
Model Izabel Goulart presents a creation during the annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in New York, November 13, 2013. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
She will take over Brouard's post next season. The 36-year-old sportswoman is not new to coaching since she had coached the women's national teams of Qatar and Iran. Costa is also scout for the Celtic team in Scotland.
The first female hired as coach of a male team was Carolina Morace, who headed in 1999 the third-tier team Viterbese from Italy, but she resigned her post after two matches only due to frequent media pressure.
Due to the almost 15-year gap, society is more accepting of women breaking glass ceilings in various professions, especially in the still-male dominated world of sports.
Those not familiar with how Costa looks should not expect a butch-looking coach with short hair or masculine mannerism like Coach Sue Sylvester of the hit TV musical Glee, played by lesbian actress Jane Lynch. Costa has long black hair and squarish face that bears some resemblance to Italian actress Sophia Loren in some angles.
Because of her pretty face and athletic shapely body, Costa was cover girl of GQ Portugal for its November 2009 edition where she is in a sexy pose wearing only black tube top and bottom (http://www.magxone.com/gq/helena-costa-gq-portugal-november-2009/).
The brief write up on Costa said she is also an actress and the girlfriend then of footballer Daniel Mustafa.
She comes prepared for the coaching job, having a Master's degree in sports science and a UEFA A Licence in Coaching and is credited with leading the Benfica youth team to second place finish in the 2005 national championship.
Comments in social media sites indicated the athletic world welcomes Costa with open arms.
One of the first to congratulate Costa in Twitter on her appointment as coach of the French football club is the Celtic Football Club.
Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, women's minister of France, upon learning of Costa's appointment, wrote, "Congratulations to Clermont for understanding that giving a place to women is the future of professional football."
She is often compared to Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho and is sometimes referred to as "Mourinho in a petticoat."
Commenting on her new job, Costa told the Daily Mail, "Working in professional football is a dream for me ... It will not happen very quickly - maybe for my great-grandchildren. But I do not go to the end of the world to train to give up."
Costa is not the only female in Clermont since the French team has Severine Chapeyron as their physiotherapist.
As to the question if Costa would enter the team's dugout where the footballers are often in various stages of undress when off the field, Clermont defender Jacques Salze pointed out that Chapeyron sees them in just their underwear all day.
"This appointment does not change much," he said, but added, "After we take our shower, I do not think she (Costa) will be there."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet