Queensland Approves $16-B Carmichael Coal Mine, Largest in Australia with Production Target of 60 Million Tonnes/Yr
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 9, 2014 8:20 AM EST
Queensland approved on Thursday the $16-billion Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail project, the largest coal mine in Australia and possibly in the world. By using open-cut and underground coal mining, Carmichael is expected to produce 60 million tonnes of thermal coal yearly for export.
The venture of Indian firm Adani could create 2,500 jobs during the construction phase and 3,900 when operational. It is expected to benefit the Australian state's economy by over $500 million directly and indirectly during the construction phase and $3 billion when it is exporting the coal, said Jeff Seeney, Queensland Minister for State Development.
Before the mine was approved, Queensland imposed 190 conditions to protect landholders, groundwater resources, flora and air quality. It also required control of dust and noise pollution during construction and operation.
Seeney added that Adani would be required to have an agreement with all affected landholders that the miner would identify and provide alternative water supplies hit by its groundwater and water bores. It must also contribute water monitoring data and financing for a Galilee region water resource model.
The green group Lock the Gate criticised the approval by the state government because of the venture's potential negative impact on Queensland's water resources.
Adani, which would also needs federal approval of the project, was the winner in December of a bidding for a major coal port expansion project on the coast of the Great Barrier Reef, which had also angered conservationist groups.
The Galilee Basin, where the mine is located, is estimated to hold 20 billion tonnes of thermal coal, one of the key ingredients to produce steel.
Besides Adani, also mining for coal in the basin are Gina Rinehart's company, Hancock Prospecting, in partnership with GVK, another Indian miner, and Waratah Coal, owned by miner-turned-politician Clive Palmer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation