Queensland Approves $16-B Carmichael Coal Mine, Largest in Australia with Production Target of 60 Million Tonnes/Yr
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 9, 2014 8:20 AM EST
Queensland approved on Thursday the $16-billion Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail project, the largest coal mine in Australia and possibly in the world. By using open-cut and underground coal mining, Carmichael is expected to produce 60 million tonnes of thermal coal yearly for export.
The venture of Indian firm Adani could create 2,500 jobs during the construction phase and 3,900 when operational. It is expected to benefit the Australian state's economy by over $500 million directly and indirectly during the construction phase and $3 billion when it is exporting the coal, said Jeff Seeney, Queensland Minister for State Development.
Before the mine was approved, Queensland imposed 190 conditions to protect landholders, groundwater resources, flora and air quality. It also required control of dust and noise pollution during construction and operation.
Seeney added that Adani would be required to have an agreement with all affected landholders that the miner would identify and provide alternative water supplies hit by its groundwater and water bores. It must also contribute water monitoring data and financing for a Galilee region water resource model.
The green group Lock the Gate criticised the approval by the state government because of the venture's potential negative impact on Queensland's water resources.
Adani, which would also needs federal approval of the project, was the winner in December of a bidding for a major coal port expansion project on the coast of the Great Barrier Reef, which had also angered conservationist groups.
The Galilee Basin, where the mine is located, is estimated to hold 20 billion tonnes of thermal coal, one of the key ingredients to produce steel.
Besides Adani, also mining for coal in the basin are Gina Rinehart's company, Hancock Prospecting, in partnership with GVK, another Indian miner, and Waratah Coal, owned by miner-turned-politician Clive Palmer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 26, 2014
- Survey Says Many Investors Unaware of True State of Stock Market
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 26, 2014
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features