Huawei Ascend P7 Fares With Others With 8 MP Front-Facing Camera; Ascend P7 Mini Announced Earlier
By Judith Aparri | May 9, 2014 12:02 AM EST
Huawei has currently joined the high-end handset race by launching its new flagship Ascend P7 in Paris on May 7.
Huawei CEO Richard Yu holds the Huawei's new smartphone, the Ascend P7, launched by China's Huawei Technologies during a presentation in Paris, May 7, 2014. The mobile - billed as the world's slimmest phone at 6.5 mm thick - will go on sale in 31 markets, including Britain, Germany and China, starting this month for 449 euros ($630) without a SIM card or service contract. It will not be sold in the United States.
Huawei was among the largest manufacturers of smartphones in the previous year. The Chinese OEM was far behind Samsung and Apple though, but it managed to beat neighboring OEMs Lenovo and LG Electronics. It aims to double its shipments this year, and P7 obviously earns the task to deliver that mission.
Few days before its schedule to reveal what's in store for the tech world, Chinese OEM Huawei released a video teaser on its campaign site giving a sneak peak of Ascend P7, the successor of Ascend P6.
Another thing about Ascend P7 is that it is the most interesting from Huawei with impressive specs. It sports a 1080p HD 5-inch display, 16 GB expandable internal storage with microSD card, 2 GB RAM, 8 MP front-facing camera, 13 MP rear-facing camera, 2500 mAh battery and an in-house quad-core 1.8 GHz processor. Ascend P7 will be run by Google's Android.
P7 carries its maker's trademark of "slimness," coming in 6.5 mm thick and weighing 124 grams. Rival Samsung Galaxy S5 is 8.1 mm thick and 145 grams heavy. Vice-president Shao Yang of the Consumer Business Group Marketing Department said they want the P series to be "always a fashion symbol."
The P7 comes with a $625 (or €449) price tag with no contract and will be market released this month in Asia, Middle East and Europe. According to Vice-President Yves Maitre of Connective Objects and Partnerships, Orange will market Ascend P7 in Europe come June 7.
Meanwhile, P7's mini version, the Ascend P7 Mini, had its wraps taken off ahead in Germany on April 28. The small flagship copycat sports a 4.5-inch TFT 940 x 540 pixel resolution display with 1 GB RAM, 8 GB onboard storage, microSD card and is run by Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The Mini P7 variant is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core 1.2 GHz processor.
Ascend P7 Mini is 4G LTE-ready and allows network access of up to 50 Mbps up and 150 Mbps down. It is expected Ascend P7 Mini will roll out across Europe in the next few weeks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices