Delhi Surpassing Beijing in Air Pollution,WHO Report Inaccurate, Says Indian Researcher
By Johnlee Varghese | May 8, 2014 11:45 PM EST
A woman wearing a mask checks her mobile phone during a smoggy day on the square in front of Harbin's landmark San Sophia church, in Heilongjiang province,China. The recent WHO report notes that New Delhi in India has overtaken Beijing for having dirtiest air in the world.
The WHO report that covers 1,600 cities found air pollution had worsened since 2011, especially in poorer countries, putting city-dwellers at higher risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease.
The report put air pollution as the major hazard that claimed the lives of seven million people in 2012. What was more shame for India was the fact that the WHO report found 13 Indian cities to be the dirtiest ones out of 20 cities around the world.
The dirtiest lot has New Delhi on its top, followed by Patna, Gwalior and Raipur. The WHO report showed that Delhi had an annual average concentration of airborne small particles of less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter, known as PM 2.5, of 153, which is three times as high as the reading for Beijing of 56, despite the Chinese capital's reputation for smog and 10 times that of London.
The Indian environmental agencies, however, have decried the report as biased and misleading. Even the WHO experts insisted that the survey was not intended to name and shame the dirtiest cities, since the cities involved were volunteering to provide information inorder to help themselves clean up. Meanwhile, the Indian officials noted that the WHO report was biased.
"The data is inaccurate and is biased. The average yearly value of PM 2.5 of Delhi ranges between 110-120 microgram/m3, but WHO has overestimated it as 153 microgram/m3 and has underestimated Beijing's average. There is a mismatch in years of comparison. Delhi data of 2013 (traffic signal) is compared with 2010 of Beijing," Dr. Gufran Beig, Chief Project Scientist, Air Quality Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR) told IBTimes.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal