Delhi Surpassing Beijing in Air Pollution,WHO Report Inaccurate, Says Indian Researcher
By Johnlee Varghese | May 8, 2014 11:45 PM EST
A woman wearing a mask checks her mobile phone during a smoggy day on the square in front of Harbin's landmark San Sophia church, in Heilongjiang province,China. The recent WHO report notes that New Delhi in India has overtaken Beijing for having dirtiest air in the world.
The WHO report that covers 1,600 cities found air pollution had worsened since 2011, especially in poorer countries, putting city-dwellers at higher risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease.
The report put air pollution as the major hazard that claimed the lives of seven million people in 2012. What was more shame for India was the fact that the WHO report found 13 Indian cities to be the dirtiest ones out of 20 cities around the world.
The dirtiest lot has New Delhi on its top, followed by Patna, Gwalior and Raipur. The WHO report showed that Delhi had an annual average concentration of airborne small particles of less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter, known as PM 2.5, of 153, which is three times as high as the reading for Beijing of 56, despite the Chinese capital's reputation for smog and 10 times that of London.
The Indian environmental agencies, however, have decried the report as biased and misleading. Even the WHO experts insisted that the survey was not intended to name and shame the dirtiest cities, since the cities involved were volunteering to provide information inorder to help themselves clean up. Meanwhile, the Indian officials noted that the WHO report was biased.
"The data is inaccurate and is biased. The average yearly value of PM 2.5 of Delhi ranges between 110-120 microgram/m3, but WHO has overestimated it as 153 microgram/m3 and has underestimated Beijing's average. There is a mismatch in years of comparison. Delhi data of 2013 (traffic signal) is compared with 2010 of Beijing," Dr. Gufran Beig, Chief Project Scientist, Air Quality Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR) told IBTimes.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch