Obama Visits Tornadoes Hit Arkansas, Pacifies Victims
By Rama Mohan | May 8, 2014 9:32 PM EST
President Barack Obama on 7 May visited the tornadoes affected areas of central Arkansas in the United States and enquired with the families who lost their loved ones in the natural calamity.
U.S. President Barack Obama. (Reuters)
"The federal government is going to be right here until we get these communities rebuilt," said the President. Because when something like this happens to a wonderful community like this one, it happens to all of us," Obama said in his remarks at Vilonia in the area.
Arkansas was devastated by tornadoes last week. The President thanked the recovery workers on the site who are helping the affected families and businesses to pick up the pieces after the tornadoes.
"After the tornadoes touched down, I immediately approved a major disaster declaration to make sure every federal resource was available to help folks in Faulkner County and other areas affected by the tornadoes. At my direction, FEMA deployed Incident Management Assistance Teams to support local recovery efforts. Craig Fugate was down here the day after the storm, and a team of the Army Corps of Engineers has been helping search through the debris," Obama stated.
The President explained the government's immediate rescue action by a crew of 200 members, including those from other countries. He pacified the affected victims and patted the recue personnel in the area by telling that the country is with them to support.
He appreciated the community's response towards the affected victims of the tornadoes. "So this is a testament to the strength of this community, the strength of Arkansas and the strength of America. And I could not be more proud of everybody who has participated in the recovery process," Obama said.
The recovery workers include members of National Guard and Army Corps of Engineers, who are searching through the debris for survivors and helping the victims of the natural calamity to recover fast.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]