Andre Agassi Picks Rafael Nadal Over Roger Federer as All-time Great
By Shruthi SU | May 8, 2014 8:24 PM EST
Who'd you pick as an all-time great? Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer? Very difficult to make up your mind? Well, Andre Agassi is clear about his decision and has a solid explanation to back it.
The American legend Agassi said on Thursday, he'd pick Nadal over Federer as an all-time great simply because the Spaniard has faced challenges up front.
"I'd put Nadal number one, Federer number two," Agassi told Singapore's Straits Times in an interview.
"Federer separated himself from the field for four years. He separated himself from [Andy] Roddick and [Lleyton] Hewitt.
"Nadal had to deal with Federer, [Novak] Djokovic, [Andy] Murray in the golden age of tennis. He has done what he has done and he's not done yet."
He might not be done yet, but Federer himself believes he'd not done yet either. The Swiss champ holds a record 17 Grand Slam titles against Nadal's 13. They are both great in their own right, but the eight-time Grand Slam-winner - Agassi opines Nadal has more potential to further that greatness.
With one more Australian Open title in the collection, Nadal would have won all-four Grand Slams twice - only two other men have achieved that feat.
"He has won multiple majors, every single one [more than once] except the Australian Open -- and give him another year on that," Agassi declared.
"It's just remarkable to me what he has done, and he has done it all during Federer's prime."
Changing subjects to the Mahesh Bhupati owned International Premier Tennis League, which is promised to take place at the end of this year. Agassi said he'd definitely be a part of the Singapore leg of the inaugural event.
"It seems like it's all happening," Agassi said. "I just can't make any promises I can't control. What I can't control is if [the event] really exists or not.
"But if it's happening, I'm absolutely going to be there and I will spend time leading up [to the event] playing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon