Andre Agassi Picks Rafael Nadal Over Roger Federer as All-time Great
By Shruthi SU | May 8, 2014 8:24 PM EST
Who'd you pick as an all-time great? Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer? Very difficult to make up your mind? Well, Andre Agassi is clear about his decision and has a solid explanation to back it.
The American legend Agassi said on Thursday, he'd pick Nadal over Federer as an all-time great simply because the Spaniard has faced challenges up front.
"I'd put Nadal number one, Federer number two," Agassi told Singapore's Straits Times in an interview.
"Federer separated himself from the field for four years. He separated himself from [Andy] Roddick and [Lleyton] Hewitt.
"Nadal had to deal with Federer, [Novak] Djokovic, [Andy] Murray in the golden age of tennis. He has done what he has done and he's not done yet."
He might not be done yet, but Federer himself believes he'd not done yet either. The Swiss champ holds a record 17 Grand Slam titles against Nadal's 13. They are both great in their own right, but the eight-time Grand Slam-winner - Agassi opines Nadal has more potential to further that greatness.
With one more Australian Open title in the collection, Nadal would have won all-four Grand Slams twice - only two other men have achieved that feat.
"He has won multiple majors, every single one [more than once] except the Australian Open -- and give him another year on that," Agassi declared.
"It's just remarkable to me what he has done, and he has done it all during Federer's prime."
Changing subjects to the Mahesh Bhupati owned International Premier Tennis League, which is promised to take place at the end of this year. Agassi said he'd definitely be a part of the Singapore leg of the inaugural event.
"It seems like it's all happening," Agassi said. "I just can't make any promises I can't control. What I can't control is if [the event] really exists or not.
"But if it's happening, I'm absolutely going to be there and I will spend time leading up [to the event] playing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal