Andre Agassi Picks Rafael Nadal Over Roger Federer as All-time Great
By Shruthi SU | May 8, 2014 8:24 PM EST
Who'd you pick as an all-time great? Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer? Very difficult to make up your mind? Well, Andre Agassi is clear about his decision and has a solid explanation to back it.
The American legend Agassi said on Thursday, he'd pick Nadal over Federer as an all-time great simply because the Spaniard has faced challenges up front.
"I'd put Nadal number one, Federer number two," Agassi told Singapore's Straits Times in an interview.
"Federer separated himself from the field for four years. He separated himself from [Andy] Roddick and [Lleyton] Hewitt.
"Nadal had to deal with Federer, [Novak] Djokovic, [Andy] Murray in the golden age of tennis. He has done what he has done and he's not done yet."
He might not be done yet, but Federer himself believes he'd not done yet either. The Swiss champ holds a record 17 Grand Slam titles against Nadal's 13. They are both great in their own right, but the eight-time Grand Slam-winner - Agassi opines Nadal has more potential to further that greatness.
With one more Australian Open title in the collection, Nadal would have won all-four Grand Slams twice - only two other men have achieved that feat.
"He has won multiple majors, every single one [more than once] except the Australian Open -- and give him another year on that," Agassi declared.
"It's just remarkable to me what he has done, and he has done it all during Federer's prime."
Changing subjects to the Mahesh Bhupati owned International Premier Tennis League, which is promised to take place at the end of this year. Agassi said he'd definitely be a part of the Singapore leg of the inaugural event.
"It seems like it's all happening," Agassi said. "I just can't make any promises I can't control. What I can't control is if [the event] really exists or not.
"But if it's happening, I'm absolutely going to be there and I will spend time leading up [to the event] playing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports