Michelle Obama Tweets #BringBackOurGirls to Support Abducted Nigerian School Girls
By Johnlee Varghese | May 8, 2014 6:45 PM EST
First Lady Michelle Obama has become the latest high profile twitter user to join in the #BringBackOurGirls appeal that is fast turning into a worldwide movement. Supported by over a million people, the movement demands the safe rescue of the abducted Nigerian school girls.
The #BringBackOurGirls that was started by an American mother of two, to raise awareness about the abducted Nigerian school girls has crossed over a million tweets with celebrities such as Chris Brown, Pakistani child activist Malala Yousafzai and Mary J. Blige supporting it.
Showing her support for #BringBackOurGirls, the First Lady tweeted: "Our prayers are with the missing Nigerian girls and their families. It's time to #BringBackOurGirls."
With outrage growing over the failure to rescue the girls in Nigeria, protesters around the world are taking to social media sites using hashtags #BringBackOurGirls to demand that more be done for the victims.The social media movement now is fast spreading to Abuja, Washington, Los Angeles, Dublin and London. People from countries such as Middle East, Japan, India and Russia have also joined in the movement.
Singer Mary J Blige tweeted:
— Mary J. Blige (@maryjblige) April 30, 2014
There has been growing concern over the matter. after the Islamic militant group Boko Haram, in a recent video, took responsibility for the kidnapping and said that the group plans to sell the girls into slavery. Boko Haram that kidnapped over 200 girls from Chibok on April 15 is currently headed by Abubakar Shekau, who is known as a ruthless killer, who wants to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria.
In the video Shekau said: "I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah. There is a market for selling humans. Allah says I should sell. He commands me to sell. I will sell women. I sell women."
Boko Haram's official name is Jama'atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda'awati wal-Jihad, which in Arabic means "People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet's Teachings and Jihad". But it was given the name Boko Haram in the local Hausa language, which means "Western education is sinful."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Australian Woman Had Daughter in MH17 & Brother in MH370
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market