Michelle Obama Tweets #BringBackOurGirls to Support Abducted Nigerian School Girls
By Johnlee Varghese | May 8, 2014 6:45 PM EST
First Lady Michelle Obama has become the latest high profile twitter user to join in the #BringBackOurGirls appeal that is fast turning into a worldwide movement. Supported by over a million people, the movement demands the safe rescue of the abducted Nigerian school girls.
The #BringBackOurGirls that was started by an American mother of two, to raise awareness about the abducted Nigerian school girls has crossed over a million tweets with celebrities such as Chris Brown, Pakistani child activist Malala Yousafzai and Mary J. Blige supporting it.
Showing her support for #BringBackOurGirls, the First Lady tweeted: "Our prayers are with the missing Nigerian girls and their families. It's time to #BringBackOurGirls."
With outrage growing over the failure to rescue the girls in Nigeria, protesters around the world are taking to social media sites using hashtags #BringBackOurGirls to demand that more be done for the victims.The social media movement now is fast spreading to Abuja, Washington, Los Angeles, Dublin and London. People from countries such as Middle East, Japan, India and Russia have also joined in the movement.
Singer Mary J Blige tweeted:
— Mary J. Blige (@maryjblige) April 30, 2014
There has been growing concern over the matter. after the Islamic militant group Boko Haram, in a recent video, took responsibility for the kidnapping and said that the group plans to sell the girls into slavery. Boko Haram that kidnapped over 200 girls from Chibok on April 15 is currently headed by Abubakar Shekau, who is known as a ruthless killer, who wants to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria.
In the video Shekau said: "I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah. There is a market for selling humans. Allah says I should sell. He commands me to sell. I will sell women. I sell women."
Boko Haram's official name is Jama'atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda'awati wal-Jihad, which in Arabic means "People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet's Teachings and Jihad". But it was given the name Boko Haram in the local Hausa language, which means "Western education is sinful."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories