Socceroo Star Sasa Ognenovski Feels the Treatment with Brett Holman and Mark Schwarzer as Disrespectful
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 5:14 PM EST
Socceroo star Sasa Ognenovski seemed not very happy with the way the veteran players like Brett Holman and Mark Schwarzer are treated.
"The way that some of the retirements have come out is a bit disrespectful," Ognenovski stated to Fox Sports.
It is not sure whether Ognenovski can make it to the 30-team squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Former Socceroo captain Paul Walde expressed his doubt about the inclusion of Ognenovski in the squad.
"He was brilliant. He was the best player in Asia at one time ... And he's organised that back four of Sydney FC, there's no doubt about that. He brings so much to the table ... But whether he's fit enough any more, whether he's quick enough any more - and you have to be lightning fast at the back because these (World Cup) strikers will tear you apart ... And seeing as he's the last line in defence, he can't afford to get beaten once and I think at that level he will be," Wade said.
Socceroo coach Ange Postecoglou will declare the initial 30-man squad on Wednesday. The final 23-squad will be declared in Brazil on June 2. Postecoglou also confirmed Lucas Neil will not be in the preliminary squad.
Ognenovski has not played any matches after Australia lost to Brazil by 0-6 in September 2013 and also confirmed he hasn't spoken to Postecoglou recently.
"No. I haven't had any contact in regards to the World Cup or the friendlies prior to that ... I came back to Australia with a view to being here in the shop window so he (Postecoglou) could watch my games ... I have played every game. I have backed up ... I don't think he has contacted many of the players that we have seen recently who have retired or don't want to play for the Socceroos any more," Ognenovski stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan