Apple Boasts Macbook Air Processor And Cuts Prices
By Naveena Joy | May 8, 2014 4:41 PM EST
Apple has announced a minor processor upgrade and price cut on all four preconfigured MacBook Air models.
While Apple didn't give importance to major hardware and design updates, the company has slashed the prices of the 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch Macbook Air by $100 and increased the CPU clock speed by 100 MHz.
The leaf on the Apple symbol is tinted green at the Apple flagship store on 5th Ave in New York
The 11.6-inch MacBook Air dropped to a starting price of $899 from $999, and its dual-core Core i5 processor now runs at 1.4 GHz with a 2.7 GHz Turbo speed. Other details remain the same like non-Retina1366 x 768 display, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB solid-state drive and nine hours battery life.
Apple's larger version of 13.3-inch MacBook Air now starts with price $999 from $1099. The features are similar to that of 11.6-inch Air, except for the 1440 x 900 screen resolution powered by Intel's HD 5000 graphics and the 12 hours long battery life.
Although the changes are minor, it is noticeable. Intel may have improved the chip in other ways as the newer versions of a processor typically include manufacturing improvements, which can result in better power efficiency and cooling.
The lower price with a bump in the processor could give an up in the Mac sales. But users are expecting the much speculated majorly redesigned Air releasing later this year with NPD, Display Search and Apple releasing a thinner, 12-inch MacBook Air model with a Retina display.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown