Sydney FC Appoints Graham Arnold as Coach
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 4:35 PM EST
Former Mariners coach Graham Arnold was appointed by Sydney FC as its new coach on a three-year deal to refurbish the team.
The announcement came on Thursday afternoon after the replacement of Frank Farina. Arnold is the eighth coach that Sydney FC recruited after nine A-League seasons.
Dissatisfied Mariners terminated Frank nearly two weeks ago.
Arnold, who earlier turned down the offer of joining the Sydney FC in 2012, coached the Central Coast Mariners, leading the team to the A-League title in 2013.
Graham later left the Mariners during the 2013-2014 campaign to coach a Japanese football team, Vegalta Sendai. But he left the club in February.
Arnold was in talks with a number of clubs. He was in close discussion with Newcastle Jets, but the deal could not go further ahead as the club disagreed on some terms.
Sydney FC will probably offer funds to the coach to revive the lost glory of the team.
Defender Sasa Ognenovski, who also signed with the club for the next season, appreciated Arnold joining the team as coach.
"It's good that they've acted so swiftly ... If it's a three-year deal, at least they've got a plan in place and they're going to give him time to build the team that he wants to be build," Ognenovski said to Fox Sports.
An experienced footballer, Graham Arnold has been in the managerial position since 1989 when he first joined as a coach for Sydney United.
Arnold started his football career in 1969 as a striker with the Gwawley Bay Football Club and played until 1979 when he joined Canterbury-Marrickville. He later moved to Sydney Croatia followed by his overseas move as he played for the Dutch teams, Roda JC and NAC Breda. He was also associated with the Belgian team R.F.C. de Liège and R. Charleroi S.C.
Graham has represented Australia for 54 times and scored 19 goals. His international playing career came to a standstill in 1997 during the World Cup qualifier against Iran when the Socceroos played a draw that eliminated them from the circuit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation