Angelina Jolie on her ‘Shadow’ Vivienne, Why Shiloh Laughed at her Face, and her Love for Brad Pitt
By Anne Lu | May 8, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Angelina Jolie has her “shadow” play the young Aurora in “Maleficent.” The A-lister revealed that her youngest daughter Vivienne was the obvious choice to appear in her film after older daughter Shiloh rejected the role.
Actresses Angelina Jolie (R) and Elle Fanning pose during a photocall for the film "Maleficent" (Malefique) in Paris May 6, 2014. REUTERS/Charles Platiau
“For young Aurora, they needed a child who wouldn’t be fazed by the Mistress of All Evil hissing ‘I don’t like children’ in her face. And my little Vivienne – we call her my shadow, because there’s nothing I can do to shake her. I can be tired, I can be grumpy, I can be in a terrible mood, and she doesn’t care. It’s ‘Mummy, Mummy,’ and she’ll cling to me,” she told the magazine.
“We knew that she would still do that thing, she’d still smile at me and insist that I pick her up. So we couldn’t really cast anybody else.”
Angie previously mentioned in a separate interview that Vivienne was the only child who wasn’t afraid of her Maleficent costume, saying that all other kids her age “wouldn’t come near me.”
Her other children, 10-year-old Pax and nine-year-old ZZ (Jolie’s nickname for eldest daughter Zahara), also appear in cameos in the film.
Shiloh was also asked if she wanted to act, but the seven-year-old adorable tomboy had other things in mind.
“I asked Shiloh about being Aurora, and she laughed in my face,” Angelina, according to the magazine, said that with “evident pride.”
“She said she’d be a horned creature.”
Making cameo in mum and dad’s films isn’t a new thing for the Jolie-Pitt brood. The eldest child, 12-year-old Maddox, played a zombie in Brad’s “World War Z,” while Shiloh appeared just a few seconds also in dad’s film “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.”
But if Brad and Angie got their way, their children won’t be actors like them.
“Brad and I made the decision that we wouldn’t keep them from sets and the fun of making movies, but we wouldn’t [glorify it either] – we wouldn’t make it a good thing or a bad thing. But I would really prefer they do something else,” the Academy Award-winning actress said.
“After two days of it, Brad and I were so stressed we never wanted to do it again.”
Angelina also talked about her controversial younger days, in which she was “misinterpreted as [me] wanting to be rebellious,” and why she thought she would never fall in love or have children.
Fortunately, those things didn’t happen. She not only has six children, but also a partner whom she loves.
“You get together and you’re two individuals and you feel inspired by each other, you challenge each other, you complement each other, drive each other beautifully crazy,” she said of Brad, her partner of nine years.
“After all these years, we have history – and when you have history with somebody, you’re friends in such a very real, deep way that there’s such a comfort, and an ease, and a deep love that comes from having been through quite a lot together.”
“Maleficent” opens on May 30. It also stars Elle Fanning as Aurora/Sleeping Beauty, as well as Sharlto Copley and Sam Riley.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks