Angelina Jolie on her ‘Shadow’ Vivienne, Why Shiloh Laughed at her Face, and her Love for Brad Pitt
By Anne Lu | May 8, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Angelina Jolie has her “shadow” play the young Aurora in “Maleficent.” The A-lister revealed that her youngest daughter Vivienne was the obvious choice to appear in her film after older daughter Shiloh rejected the role.
Actresses Angelina Jolie (R) and Elle Fanning pose during a photocall for the film "Maleficent" (Malefique) in Paris May 6, 2014. REUTERS/Charles Platiau
“For young Aurora, they needed a child who wouldn’t be fazed by the Mistress of All Evil hissing ‘I don’t like children’ in her face. And my little Vivienne – we call her my shadow, because there’s nothing I can do to shake her. I can be tired, I can be grumpy, I can be in a terrible mood, and she doesn’t care. It’s ‘Mummy, Mummy,’ and she’ll cling to me,” she told the magazine.
“We knew that she would still do that thing, she’d still smile at me and insist that I pick her up. So we couldn’t really cast anybody else.”
Angie previously mentioned in a separate interview that Vivienne was the only child who wasn’t afraid of her Maleficent costume, saying that all other kids her age “wouldn’t come near me.”
Her other children, 10-year-old Pax and nine-year-old ZZ (Jolie’s nickname for eldest daughter Zahara), also appear in cameos in the film.
Shiloh was also asked if she wanted to act, but the seven-year-old adorable tomboy had other things in mind.
“I asked Shiloh about being Aurora, and she laughed in my face,” Angelina, according to the magazine, said that with “evident pride.”
“She said she’d be a horned creature.”
Making cameo in mum and dad’s films isn’t a new thing for the Jolie-Pitt brood. The eldest child, 12-year-old Maddox, played a zombie in Brad’s “World War Z,” while Shiloh appeared just a few seconds also in dad’s film “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.”
But if Brad and Angie got their way, their children won’t be actors like them.
“Brad and I made the decision that we wouldn’t keep them from sets and the fun of making movies, but we wouldn’t [glorify it either] – we wouldn’t make it a good thing or a bad thing. But I would really prefer they do something else,” the Academy Award-winning actress said.
“After two days of it, Brad and I were so stressed we never wanted to do it again.”
Angelina also talked about her controversial younger days, in which she was “misinterpreted as [me] wanting to be rebellious,” and why she thought she would never fall in love or have children.
Fortunately, those things didn’t happen. She not only has six children, but also a partner whom she loves.
“You get together and you’re two individuals and you feel inspired by each other, you challenge each other, you complement each other, drive each other beautifully crazy,” she said of Brad, her partner of nine years.
“After all these years, we have history – and when you have history with somebody, you’re friends in such a very real, deep way that there’s such a comfort, and an ease, and a deep love that comes from having been through quite a lot together.”
“Maleficent” opens on May 30. It also stars Elle Fanning as Aurora/Sleeping Beauty, as well as Sharlto Copley and Sam Riley.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation