Windows Phone 8.1 to Launch File Manager
By Naveena Joy | May 8, 2014 3:20 PM EST
Windows Phone, as part of the competitive market, lacks an important feature to view files and documents. Microsoft finally decides to introduce the "File Manager" system for Windows 8.1.
Joe Belfiore, Windows Phone manager, has announced the app during a Reddit Q&A session and since then posted images online of the upcoming File Manager, which looks exactly the way a mobile file explorer should be developed by Microsoft.
According to Belfiore, the File Manager app will start later this May, although it's the target date for Microsoft and does not confirm its launching date.
"We are doing a File Manager for Windows Phone 8.1! I know a lot of you are looking for this," Belfiore wrote on the social news network.
"In fact, I've been running a build of it on two of my phones for the last week or so and it's getting to pretty good shape."
A file manager is a system that provides a user interface to manage files and folders. The most common operations performed on files or groups of files include creating, opening (e.g. viewing, playing, editing or printing), renaming, moving or copying, deleting and searching for files, as well as modifying file attributes, properties and file permissions.
The users can browse both the internal storage and SD card to see how much space is free and how much is already consumed. The file manager app creates and navigates through folders, show icons for different file types and include the ability to relocate items to another folder.
With this introduction, Windows Phone 8.1 now joins the league of smartphones with an added advantage over iOS and Android, which do not come with preloaded filing systems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence