Windows Phone 8.1 to Launch File Manager
By Naveena Joy | May 8, 2014 3:20 PM EST
Windows Phone, as part of the competitive market, lacks an important feature to view files and documents. Microsoft finally decides to introduce the "File Manager" system for Windows 8.1.
Joe Belfiore, Windows Phone manager, has announced the app during a Reddit Q&A session and since then posted images online of the upcoming File Manager, which looks exactly the way a mobile file explorer should be developed by Microsoft.
According to Belfiore, the File Manager app will start later this May, although it's the target date for Microsoft and does not confirm its launching date.
"We are doing a File Manager for Windows Phone 8.1! I know a lot of you are looking for this," Belfiore wrote on the social news network.
"In fact, I've been running a build of it on two of my phones for the last week or so and it's getting to pretty good shape."
A file manager is a system that provides a user interface to manage files and folders. The most common operations performed on files or groups of files include creating, opening (e.g. viewing, playing, editing or printing), renaming, moving or copying, deleting and searching for files, as well as modifying file attributes, properties and file permissions.
The users can browse both the internal storage and SD card to see how much space is free and how much is already consumed. The file manager app creates and navigates through folders, show icons for different file types and include the ability to relocate items to another folder.
With this introduction, Windows Phone 8.1 now joins the league of smartphones with an added advantage over iOS and Android, which do not come with preloaded filing systems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation