Agony Continues for Brisbane Lions
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 3:19 PM EST
The sordid condition of Brisbane Lions has placed NRL in the forefront to help the club get out from the rubble.
Malcolm Holmes, chief executive of Lions, was sacked from the club. Bob Sharpless, the new chairman of the club, was also under threat as the Lions is the brink of losing her glory.
The club currently has a debt of $10 million that made AFL to step in and help in rebuilding the team.
The Lions, however, said the team will be kept out of any distraction from the on-going crisis as they are slated to meet Essendon in the round eight clashes on Saturday at the Gabba.
"To be perfectly honest we control what happens out on the field and what happens upstairs ... All we can focus on is putting a good performance out on the field and building ourselves up," Dayne Zarko stated.
But Zarko also mentioned the image of the club has affected the team's performance and hoped for a quick revival.
"Absolutely ... That might even have something to do with us on the field ... But to be honest we just have to go on with business as footballers ... We need to go out and put down a really good performance on the weekend and take the distraction away from what's happening upstairs ... We need to give our supporters something to cheer about," Zarko added.
The Lions are currently placed in the last position on AFL chart. The new coach, Justin Leppitsch, is doing his best to revive the team from the current position.
Former Lions coach Leigh Matthews stated that AFL is putting intense pressure on the club, and the club could benefit if it can add some high profile players in senior positions.
"I think at any AFL club, having a high-profile person as chairman or CEO, and/or coach is better, but all three of them would be good," Matthews said
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS