Agony Continues for Brisbane Lions
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 3:19 PM EST
The sordid condition of Brisbane Lions has placed NRL in the forefront to help the club get out from the rubble.
Malcolm Holmes, chief executive of Lions, was sacked from the club. Bob Sharpless, the new chairman of the club, was also under threat as the Lions is the brink of losing her glory.
The club currently has a debt of $10 million that made AFL to step in and help in rebuilding the team.
The Lions, however, said the team will be kept out of any distraction from the on-going crisis as they are slated to meet Essendon in the round eight clashes on Saturday at the Gabba.
"To be perfectly honest we control what happens out on the field and what happens upstairs ... All we can focus on is putting a good performance out on the field and building ourselves up," Dayne Zarko stated.
But Zarko also mentioned the image of the club has affected the team's performance and hoped for a quick revival.
"Absolutely ... That might even have something to do with us on the field ... But to be honest we just have to go on with business as footballers ... We need to go out and put down a really good performance on the weekend and take the distraction away from what's happening upstairs ... We need to give our supporters something to cheer about," Zarko added.
The Lions are currently placed in the last position on AFL chart. The new coach, Justin Leppitsch, is doing his best to revive the team from the current position.
Former Lions coach Leigh Matthews stated that AFL is putting intense pressure on the club, and the club could benefit if it can add some high profile players in senior positions.
"I think at any AFL club, having a high-profile person as chairman or CEO, and/or coach is better, but all three of them would be good," Matthews said
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29