Agony Continues for Brisbane Lions
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 3:19 PM EST
The sordid condition of Brisbane Lions has placed NRL in the forefront to help the club get out from the rubble.
Malcolm Holmes, chief executive of Lions, was sacked from the club. Bob Sharpless, the new chairman of the club, was also under threat as the Lions is the brink of losing her glory.
The club currently has a debt of $10 million that made AFL to step in and help in rebuilding the team.
The Lions, however, said the team will be kept out of any distraction from the on-going crisis as they are slated to meet Essendon in the round eight clashes on Saturday at the Gabba.
"To be perfectly honest we control what happens out on the field and what happens upstairs ... All we can focus on is putting a good performance out on the field and building ourselves up," Dayne Zarko stated.
But Zarko also mentioned the image of the club has affected the team's performance and hoped for a quick revival.
"Absolutely ... That might even have something to do with us on the field ... But to be honest we just have to go on with business as footballers ... We need to go out and put down a really good performance on the weekend and take the distraction away from what's happening upstairs ... We need to give our supporters something to cheer about," Zarko added.
The Lions are currently placed in the last position on AFL chart. The new coach, Justin Leppitsch, is doing his best to revive the team from the current position.
Former Lions coach Leigh Matthews stated that AFL is putting intense pressure on the club, and the club could benefit if it can add some high profile players in senior positions.
"I think at any AFL club, having a high-profile person as chairman or CEO, and/or coach is better, but all three of them would be good," Matthews said
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge