Man Arrested After Protesting Against School Assigning Book with Explicit Sex Scene to Teenage Daughter
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 8, 2014 3:07 PM EST
A U.S. man was arrested after he protested against the school management that had assigned his daughter a book depicting an explicit sex scene.
William Baer was arrested during a board meeting at Gilford School on Monday, May 5. He apparently raised concerns after his teenage daughter was assigned Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. The father's concerns led to arguments and he was arrested for violating a "two-minute talk" rule followed by the board. Mr Baer thought that it was inappropriate for his daughter to read the explicitly described scene where a couple of teenagers would get involved in a sexual encounter. The book is about a bullied teenager who eventually gets involved in a shooting rampage at school, according to CTV News.
Baer apparently asked the members of the school board if they would read out the sex scene in question. However, the board reportedly refused to read it out loud. A police officer approached the father as the discussion turned into a heated argument. Baer was eventually handcuffed by the officer. "You're going to arrest me? Because I violated the two minute rule?" Baer wondered as the officer took him into custody. Interestingly, the entire incident was captured on camera and the video was later uploaded to YouTube.
The school board, on the other hand, issued a statement on Monday itself as it apologised for not informing parents regarding the assigned book unlike previous occasions. School Board Chairperson Sue Allen said that the district would "take immediate action to revise these policies to include notification" that required parents "to accept controversial material rather than opt out." She said that the notification would detail more specifically with the controversial material.
Baer, who was arrested for disorderly conduct, has reportedly planned to "fight his arrest" as he believes that his "First Amendment rights were violated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Winds of Winter’ Fans' Speculation: Cersei Lannister As Regent
- Top 5 Best-Selling Young Adult Fiction Books For The Week Of Sept. 21, 2014 Including 'If I Stay' By Gayle Forman And ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ By John Green
- Pre-Order Booking Of ‘The Walking Dead’ Star Norman Reedus’ New Book ‘Thanks For All The Niceness’ Is On
- Next ‘Game of Thrones’ Book Releasing Soon
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Tyrion Lannister, Jorah Mormont & Arya Stark In Braavos
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet