Manchester United Defeats Aston Villa in the Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 3:05 PM EST
Manchester United reaches the top of Premier League defeating Aston Villa by 4-0. The win also pushes the team's dream to aim for the championship title.
Manchester City's Stevan Jovetic celebrates after scoring a goal against Aston Villa during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, northern England May 7, 2014.
All the damage came in the second half of the match, with two goals from Edin Dzeko and the other two from Stevan Jovetic and Yaya Touré that sealed the fate of the visitor.
Manchester United posed some threat in the first half, but could not capitalise with a lead. Aston Villa showed a lackadaisical approach which seemed like they were trying to waste time. Villa however, proved threatening to United time and again, but the attempts made were unsuccessful.
The first goal for Manchester came in 64 minutes when the Bosnian Edin Dzeko played a perfect low cross at close range to give the team the first lead.
The second goal came in 72 minutes when the Bosnian star pushed ahead to tap the opportunity, giving United a lead by 2-0. This is the 16th goal in the league for Dzeko.
Aston Villa was trying to regain from the rubbles, but Manchester again made the third damage just when the match was on the verge of ending. The Montenegrin made no mistake as he placed a nice shot that ended at the bottom corner of the goal.
The last and final damage came in the extra time when the Ivorian, Yaya Touré stormed through the midfield bypassing Aston's defence to place the ball in the net.
Manchester United has now reached 100 goals in the premier league this season.
Coach Manuel Pellegrini was happy with the team's performance and said the team's patience finally gave the accolade.
"The team was not only very patient, we played very well...We pressed well, had possession of the ball. We tried to move the ball as fast as we can and created two or three chances...I was absolutely sure if we continued to play the same way we would find the space to score a goal...Now we can talk about the title. We must win the last game against West Ham," Pellegrini told to BBC Sport
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display