Manchester United Defeats Aston Villa in the Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 3:05 PM EST
Manchester United reaches the top of Premier League defeating Aston Villa by 4-0. The win also pushes the team's dream to aim for the championship title.
Manchester City's Stevan Jovetic celebrates after scoring a goal against Aston Villa during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, northern England May 7, 2014.
All the damage came in the second half of the match, with two goals from Edin Dzeko and the other two from Stevan Jovetic and Yaya Touré that sealed the fate of the visitor.
Manchester United posed some threat in the first half, but could not capitalise with a lead. Aston Villa showed a lackadaisical approach which seemed like they were trying to waste time. Villa however, proved threatening to United time and again, but the attempts made were unsuccessful.
The first goal for Manchester came in 64 minutes when the Bosnian Edin Dzeko played a perfect low cross at close range to give the team the first lead.
The second goal came in 72 minutes when the Bosnian star pushed ahead to tap the opportunity, giving United a lead by 2-0. This is the 16th goal in the league for Dzeko.
Aston Villa was trying to regain from the rubbles, but Manchester again made the third damage just when the match was on the verge of ending. The Montenegrin made no mistake as he placed a nice shot that ended at the bottom corner of the goal.
The last and final damage came in the extra time when the Ivorian, Yaya Touré stormed through the midfield bypassing Aston's defence to place the ball in the net.
Manchester United has now reached 100 goals in the premier league this season.
Coach Manuel Pellegrini was happy with the team's performance and said the team's patience finally gave the accolade.
"The team was not only very patient, we played very well...We pressed well, had possession of the ball. We tried to move the ball as fast as we can and created two or three chances...I was absolutely sure if we continued to play the same way we would find the space to score a goal...Now we can talk about the title. We must win the last game against West Ham," Pellegrini told to BBC Sport
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide