Manchester United Defeats Aston Villa in the Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 8, 2014 3:05 PM EST
Manchester United reaches the top of Premier League defeating Aston Villa by 4-0. The win also pushes the team's dream to aim for the championship title.
Manchester City's Stevan Jovetic celebrates after scoring a goal against Aston Villa during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, northern England May 7, 2014.
All the damage came in the second half of the match, with two goals from Edin Dzeko and the other two from Stevan Jovetic and Yaya Touré that sealed the fate of the visitor.
Manchester United posed some threat in the first half, but could not capitalise with a lead. Aston Villa showed a lackadaisical approach which seemed like they were trying to waste time. Villa however, proved threatening to United time and again, but the attempts made were unsuccessful.
The first goal for Manchester came in 64 minutes when the Bosnian Edin Dzeko played a perfect low cross at close range to give the team the first lead.
The second goal came in 72 minutes when the Bosnian star pushed ahead to tap the opportunity, giving United a lead by 2-0. This is the 16th goal in the league for Dzeko.
Aston Villa was trying to regain from the rubbles, but Manchester again made the third damage just when the match was on the verge of ending. The Montenegrin made no mistake as he placed a nice shot that ended at the bottom corner of the goal.
The last and final damage came in the extra time when the Ivorian, Yaya Touré stormed through the midfield bypassing Aston's defence to place the ball in the net.
Manchester United has now reached 100 goals in the premier league this season.
Coach Manuel Pellegrini was happy with the team's performance and said the team's patience finally gave the accolade.
"The team was not only very patient, we played very well...We pressed well, had possession of the ball. We tried to move the ball as fast as we can and created two or three chances...I was absolutely sure if we continued to play the same way we would find the space to score a goal...Now we can talk about the title. We must win the last game against West Ham," Pellegrini told to BBC Sport
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues