Vodafone Begins Arbitration Against India in Tax Dispute
May 8, 2014 3:04 PM EST
Vodafone Group Plc has begun an international arbitration against the Indian government in a more than $2 billion tax case, toughening its stance in a long-running dispute that has dented foreign investor sentiment.
A man and two passengers ride on a scooter past a shop displaying the Vodafone logo on its shutter in Jammu. Reuters
The British mobile phone operator was widely expected to go for an international arbitration after its talks with the Indian government failed to find a solution last year.
Vodafone, which last month took full ownership of its India unit after buying the 15.5 percent it did not already own, filed for the arbitration on April 17, it said in a statement on Wednesday. It did not give details.
A spokesman for the finance ministry, which was in talks with Vodafone over the dispute, declined immediate comment.
The tax dispute stems from Vodafone's acquisition of Indian mobile assets from Hutchison Whampoa in 2007.
In 2012, the Supreme Court ruled that Vodafone was not liable for payment of any tax on the acquisition. The government later that year changed the rules to enable it to tax deals that had already been concluded.
Uncertainties over policy in India have unsettled investors, and tax claims on foreign companies have been a major concern. IBM Corp, Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Nokia Oyj are among foreign firms contesting local tax claims.
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013