Pacquiao ‘Chickened Out’ to Fight Mayweather? Now Not the Right Time Says Filipino Fighter
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 8, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao may have chickened out to fight Floyd Mayweather. Pacquiao has recently revealed that now is not the right time to square off with Mayweather.
Speaking to a local news company, Pacquiao said the mega fight between him and Mayweather, which every boxing fan hopes for, may not really happen soon. But the Filipno boxer made it clear that he hasn't lost the longing to fight the undefeated American boxer.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Pacquiao added he is aware that many people want to see the fight happen. But he noted it just won't happen at this point of time. He alleged the timing is not yet ripe for Mayweather and for him. But Pacquiao cited the reality of the mega fight between him and Mayweather will depend on the American boxer's camp.
"It depends on him," Pacquiao said.
"I am just waiting for the right time so that the fight will happen," he added.
Timing is everything. There is a right time for everyone. Every second matters. Pacquiao and Mayweather are both fresh from their fights against Timothy Bradley and Marcos Maidana, respectively. They both need more time off so they can fully recover from the strain, pressure, anxiety and tension that they both felt in their previous fights.
In April following Pacquiao's victory over Bradley, Roach told The Daily Telegraph that they would still love to fight Mayweather stressing Pacquiao can definitely beat Mayweather.
"We'd love to fight Mayweather but there have been so many excuses," Roach said. "He really doesn't seem to want to fight us, but we want that fight, I think my guy can beat him."
Pacquiao's Next Fight
Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum told RingTV.com that there are several boxers lined up for the Filipino fighting congressman. Arum said Pacquiao could face either Miguel Cotto or Sergio Martinez this year.
"Who wouldn't want to see Pacquiao against Martinez?" Arum said. "If Martinez is successful and can come down in weight a little bit, Pacquiao might even decide to fight Martinez."
Cotto and Martinez are set to fight on June 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy