Cristiano Ronaldo Limps Off La Liga Match with Recurring Injury 17 Days Before Champions League Final
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 8, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates a goal against Schalke 04 during their Champions League soccer match in Gelsenkirchen February 26, 2014.
The Spanish giants went in the game without US $123 million signing Gareth Bale who has picked up an injury. All eyes were on 2014 Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo to lead the team in the must-win game.
Eight minutes into the crucial game, Ronaldo was forced off the pitch and out of the match with a recurring hamstring injury. Ronaldo had been in doubt to play in Real Madrid's semi-final match against Bayern Munich but came back in time to score twice during the game which, along with two spectacular headers from defender Sergio Ramos, sealed their spot in the Champions League final against Atletico Madrid.
During the Real Madrid training session last Tuesday in preparation for the game against Valladolid, Ronaldo had been spotted holding his left leg while talking to team manager Carlo Ancelotti.
The match ended with a 1-1 draw leaving Real Madrid four points behind Atletico Madrid and one point behind Barcelona with only two matches remaining in the season. While mathematically still able to win, La Liga hopes seem dim for Los Merengues with their title hopes resting on Atletico losing one match and at least getting only a draw on the other or losing both remaining matches.
The Portugese international must recover in time for Real Madrid's UEFA Champions League final against city rivals Atletico Madrid on May 24 which will be held in front of his home crowd at the Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica in Lisbon. He will also be leading the entire Portugese squad in the upcoming FIFA World Cup finals in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation