Cristiano Ronaldo Limps Off La Liga Match with Recurring Injury 17 Days Before Champions League Final
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 8, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates a goal against Schalke 04 during their Champions League soccer match in Gelsenkirchen February 26, 2014.
The Spanish giants went in the game without US $123 million signing Gareth Bale who has picked up an injury. All eyes were on 2014 Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo to lead the team in the must-win game.
Eight minutes into the crucial game, Ronaldo was forced off the pitch and out of the match with a recurring hamstring injury. Ronaldo had been in doubt to play in Real Madrid's semi-final match against Bayern Munich but came back in time to score twice during the game which, along with two spectacular headers from defender Sergio Ramos, sealed their spot in the Champions League final against Atletico Madrid.
During the Real Madrid training session last Tuesday in preparation for the game against Valladolid, Ronaldo had been spotted holding his left leg while talking to team manager Carlo Ancelotti.
The match ended with a 1-1 draw leaving Real Madrid four points behind Atletico Madrid and one point behind Barcelona with only two matches remaining in the season. While mathematically still able to win, La Liga hopes seem dim for Los Merengues with their title hopes resting on Atletico losing one match and at least getting only a draw on the other or losing both remaining matches.
The Portugese international must recover in time for Real Madrid's UEFA Champions League final against city rivals Atletico Madrid on May 24 which will be held in front of his home crowd at the Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica in Lisbon. He will also be leading the entire Portugese squad in the upcoming FIFA World Cup finals in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination