Overreaction and Stress, Not Cancer and Radiation, Will Kill More People than Fukushima Scare – UN Report
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 8, 2014 1:23 PM EST
The radiation from the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant that has erupted into the atmosphere and fell into the ocean waters will not trigger any increase in cancer or health problems, a report released by the UN Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation said. What will definitely most kill the people are their overreactions and stress over possible radiation afflictions.
Drafted last year but only recently finalised, the U.N. report said that while people have been affected by the radiation, the doses are generally low or very low.
It stressed that there is no expected increased incidence of radiation-related health effects among exposed members of the public or their descendants.
Rather, "the most important health effect is on mental and social well-being, related to the enormous impact of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear accident, and the fear and stigma related to the perceived risk of exposure to ionizing radiation. Effects such as depression and post-traumatic stress symptoms have already been reported."
Noting a possibility of increased thyroid cancer cases among the children exposed to radiation, the risk however is likewise low, the UN report said.
"People are rightly concerned about the impact on their health and their children's health," UNSCEAR chair Carl-Magnus Larsson said. "Based on this assessment, however, the committee does not expect significant changes in future cancer statistics that could be attributed to radiation exposure from the accident."
The report likewise said potential effects to the environment were likewise low.
"For marine ecosystems, the possibility of effects on flora and fauna was limited to the shoreline area adjacent to the power station and the potential for effects over the long term was considered insignificant."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Would Have to Fight Alone – NATO; Port City Near Russia Fears it is Next Target
- West is ‘Really Weak’ vs Russia, Says Ukrainian Diplomat; Crisis Has Displaced Over 1M People
- Ukraine Crisis: Russia vs US, EU…. And the Winner is Actually China
- New Magaluf Sex Scandal: 15 Men Lick Cream Off British Teen’s Naked Breasts
- Growing Number of Canadian Workers Opt to Receive Bitcoin Salaries
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged