Evasi0n7 iOS 7 Jailbreak Update: Evad3rs’ @pod2g Hints of Efforts to Jailbreak iOS 7.1.1 but Focus Remains on Unlocking iOS 8
By Erik Pineda | May 8, 2014 1:10 PM EST
Apple iOS 7
Even before the iOS 7.1 rollout, the jailbreaking community has been warned that drought would soon ensure as speculations swirled that Apple engineers would successfully lock out hackers from further tinkering into the iPhone and iPad operating system.
The fears were proven right and in fact another patch, iOS 7.1.1, just came out and the Evad3rs gun is still chillingly frozen. Jailbreakers are left hanging in the air as when the next Evasi0n build is coming out.
Frustration is building up and it is understandable as the Evad3rs work remains by far the most reliable and stable untethered jailbreak out there and the best part is - the software is distributed free of charge.
Then a whiff of fresh air in April as @pod2g, one of the more outspoken members of Team Evad3rs, has indicated during a jailbreaking conference that work is underway to try to identify exploits in the current iOS 7 build.
While not dwelling on specifics, @pod2g might be alluding to jailbreaking breakthroughs that were reported as early as March 2014, most prominent of which is the alleged successful unlocking of the iPhone 4S performed by iH8Snow.
On his part, @pod2g stressed that he is investigating ways to pry open iOS 7.1.1 and according to Gotta Be Mobile, the Evad3r is "definitely trying to find something," that jailbreak fans would surely appreciate.
What he was working on the dev did not say, refusing as well to offer a time table for the next Evasi0n release.
But @pod2g was earlier quoted that following the patching of iOS 7 exploits, his colleagues are not inclined to pour time and resources to counter iOS 7.1.1 or later builds of the mobile OS considering that its replacement, iOS 8, should come out in the next few months.
In short, Team Evad3rs has trained its crosshair to the next iOS level even as @pod2g intimates that he never ceases to decode the present build.
Now iOS 8 is expected for a grand preview on Apple's 2014 WWDC in June but the final cut will not be around until the first shining new iOS device is unboxed this year.
That would be the iPhone 6 and release date of which, at least for the 4.7-inch model, is scheduled to happen in September 2014.
So if iOS 8 is revealed in the last month of Q3 2014, it should be safe to wager that two months of work would allow Team Evad3rs to set the Evasi0n8 iOS 8 jailbreak release date on December of the same year, leaving millions of delirious jailbreak fans with the most exciting Christmas gift to rip open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments