NBA Rockets Rumors: Trade for Josh Smith, Rajon Rondo Possible; Carmelo Anthony Tops Free-Agency Wishlist
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 8, 2014 12:36 PM EST
The Houston Rockets are planning to make a big splash in the free-agency market this offseason, and one of the priority of the team management is to unload burdensome contracts to clear enough cap space to sign a third superstar, according to multiple sources on Wednesday.
Houston Rockets will look to bounce back from the loss to the Portland Trail Blazers. Reuters
Fresh from another first-round playoff disappointment, the Rockets look to add more firepower to their already formidable core of All-Star center Dwight Howard and shooting guard James Harden.
The Rockets have been successful in pulling off huge offseason moves these past two seasons, landing Harden via trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2012 and signing Howard to a max deal in 2013.
Now, General Manager Daryl Morey is thinking big again. With a very talented crop of players hitting free-agency soon, the Rockets GM, with the backings of the team owner, is expected to make a strong push in realising the team's Big 3 aspirations.
"We're going to have cap room to bring in a terrific free agent and I think next year we'll be a lot better than we were this year," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "I think the nucleus is great. I think we have two of the brightest stars in the league. We have players who are going to be much better next year, young guys. We have a very good nucleus....
"We won 54 games. It's tough to win 54 games in the NBA and the West is so stacked, it's hard. We were the youngest team in the league in the playoffs. Just that alone will get us much better. I thought the team played hard. They did what they could and when you lose the other team was better."
The Rockets will have plenty of choices in the market when the free-agency period arrives. Carmelo Anthony, who could opt out from the final year of his deal, will be the Alpha-dog of this class in case LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh decide to stay put in South Beach.
Of course, they can still come up with another big deal on the trading block. The Rockets indeed have the assets to strike a blockbuster trade with Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons and handful of draft picks as likely trade baits.
Rajon Rondo emerges as the likely trade target for the Rockets, who want to improve their backcourt. Another suspect is Detroit Pistons Josh Smith, who has experience playing alongside Howard during their high school days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists