NBA Rockets Rumors: Trade for Josh Smith, Rajon Rondo Possible; Carmelo Anthony Tops Free-Agency Wishlist
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 8, 2014 12:36 PM EST
The Houston Rockets are planning to make a big splash in the free-agency market this offseason, and one of the priority of the team management is to unload burdensome contracts to clear enough cap space to sign a third superstar, according to multiple sources on Wednesday.
Houston Rockets will look to bounce back from the loss to the Portland Trail Blazers. Reuters
Fresh from another first-round playoff disappointment, the Rockets look to add more firepower to their already formidable core of All-Star center Dwight Howard and shooting guard James Harden.
The Rockets have been successful in pulling off huge offseason moves these past two seasons, landing Harden via trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2012 and signing Howard to a max deal in 2013.
Now, General Manager Daryl Morey is thinking big again. With a very talented crop of players hitting free-agency soon, the Rockets GM, with the backings of the team owner, is expected to make a strong push in realising the team's Big 3 aspirations.
"We're going to have cap room to bring in a terrific free agent and I think next year we'll be a lot better than we were this year," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "I think the nucleus is great. I think we have two of the brightest stars in the league. We have players who are going to be much better next year, young guys. We have a very good nucleus....
"We won 54 games. It's tough to win 54 games in the NBA and the West is so stacked, it's hard. We were the youngest team in the league in the playoffs. Just that alone will get us much better. I thought the team played hard. They did what they could and when you lose the other team was better."
The Rockets will have plenty of choices in the market when the free-agency period arrives. Carmelo Anthony, who could opt out from the final year of his deal, will be the Alpha-dog of this class in case LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh decide to stay put in South Beach.
Of course, they can still come up with another big deal on the trading block. The Rockets indeed have the assets to strike a blockbuster trade with Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons and handful of draft picks as likely trade baits.
Rajon Rondo emerges as the likely trade target for the Rockets, who want to improve their backcourt. Another suspect is Detroit Pistons Josh Smith, who has experience playing alongside Howard during their high school days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers