Double Joy for Twin Birth, Roger Federer and Wife Welcome Leo and Lenny; 17-Time Grand Slam Champion Misses Tournaments but Expected to Compete in the French Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 8, 2014 11:51 AM EST
The birth of two children undoubtedly brings double joy for Roger Federer and wife Mirka. They were already parents to adorable twin girls, Charlene Riva and Myla Rose, who were born in 2009. Now, they have another set of twins added to their growing family and this time around, they're twin boys.
The responses from Federer's colleagues and Twitter followers were overwhelming.
So now there will be a Fed cup team and a Davis cup team:). Congrats Roger and Mirka!!!— Martina Navratilova (@Martina) May 7, 2014
"I've decided to withdraw from Madrid to be with my wife Mirka during these next few exciting weeks for our family," Federer wrote. "I apologize to my fans and hope to be back in Madrid next year," he added. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, he will continue to train near where he lives and optimistic that he will be able to compete again soon.
Federer's agent Tony Godsick revealed to The New York Times that the Swiss athlete is still expected to take part in the French Open tournament, which will be kick off on May 25, if the newborns are in perfect health. "Assuming that everything goes well and the kids are healthy and Mirka is doing well, he has every intention of playing Roland Garros," Godsick said. Federer's agent, however, said that it is uncertain if the Swiss athlete, who currently ranks number 4, will participate in any tournament before the Roland Garros or what is otherwise known as the French Open. Godsick said that only "time will tell."
"He is training and he hasn't missed a beat in training," Godsick added.
As stated on the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) official Web site, there are five tournaments for the month of May. The first one is the Madrid Open, which Federer had previously withdrawn from, followed by Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Düsseldorf Open, Open de Nice Côte d'Azur, and lastly, the Rolland Garros (French Open).
Congratulations to Roger and Mirka!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists