Double Joy for Twin Birth, Roger Federer and Wife Welcome Leo and Lenny; 17-Time Grand Slam Champion Misses Tournaments but Expected to Compete in the French Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 8, 2014 11:51 AM EST
The birth of two children undoubtedly brings double joy for Roger Federer and wife Mirka. They were already parents to adorable twin girls, Charlene Riva and Myla Rose, who were born in 2009. Now, they have another set of twins added to their growing family and this time around, they're twin boys.
The responses from Federer's colleagues and Twitter followers were overwhelming.
So now there will be a Fed cup team and a Davis cup team:). Congrats Roger and Mirka!!!— Martina Navratilova (@Martina) May 7, 2014
"I've decided to withdraw from Madrid to be with my wife Mirka during these next few exciting weeks for our family," Federer wrote. "I apologize to my fans and hope to be back in Madrid next year," he added. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, he will continue to train near where he lives and optimistic that he will be able to compete again soon.
Federer's agent Tony Godsick revealed to The New York Times that the Swiss athlete is still expected to take part in the French Open tournament, which will be kick off on May 25, if the newborns are in perfect health. "Assuming that everything goes well and the kids are healthy and Mirka is doing well, he has every intention of playing Roland Garros," Godsick said. Federer's agent, however, said that it is uncertain if the Swiss athlete, who currently ranks number 4, will participate in any tournament before the Roland Garros or what is otherwise known as the French Open. Godsick said that only "time will tell."
"He is training and he hasn't missed a beat in training," Godsick added.
As stated on the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) official Web site, there are five tournaments for the month of May. The first one is the Madrid Open, which Federer had previously withdrawn from, followed by Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Düsseldorf Open, Open de Nice Côte d'Azur, and lastly, the Rolland Garros (French Open).
Congratulations to Roger and Mirka!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko