Double Joy for Twin Birth, Roger Federer and Wife Welcome Leo and Lenny; 17-Time Grand Slam Champion Misses Tournaments but Expected to Compete in the French Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 8, 2014 11:51 AM EST
The birth of two children undoubtedly brings double joy for Roger Federer and wife Mirka. They were already parents to adorable twin girls, Charlene Riva and Myla Rose, who were born in 2009. Now, they have another set of twins added to their growing family and this time around, they're twin boys.
The responses from Federer's colleagues and Twitter followers were overwhelming.
So now there will be a Fed cup team and a Davis cup team:). Congrats Roger and Mirka!!!— Martina Navratilova (@Martina) May 7, 2014
"I've decided to withdraw from Madrid to be with my wife Mirka during these next few exciting weeks for our family," Federer wrote. "I apologize to my fans and hope to be back in Madrid next year," he added. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, he will continue to train near where he lives and optimistic that he will be able to compete again soon.
Federer's agent Tony Godsick revealed to The New York Times that the Swiss athlete is still expected to take part in the French Open tournament, which will be kick off on May 25, if the newborns are in perfect health. "Assuming that everything goes well and the kids are healthy and Mirka is doing well, he has every intention of playing Roland Garros," Godsick said. Federer's agent, however, said that it is uncertain if the Swiss athlete, who currently ranks number 4, will participate in any tournament before the Roland Garros or what is otherwise known as the French Open. Godsick said that only "time will tell."
"He is training and he hasn't missed a beat in training," Godsick added.
As stated on the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) official Web site, there are five tournaments for the month of May. The first one is the Madrid Open, which Federer had previously withdrawn from, followed by Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Düsseldorf Open, Open de Nice Côte d'Azur, and lastly, the Rolland Garros (French Open).
Congratulations to Roger and Mirka!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying