Double Joy for Twin Birth, Roger Federer and Wife Welcome Leo and Lenny; 17-Time Grand Slam Champion Misses Tournaments but Expected to Compete in the French Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 8, 2014 11:51 AM EST
The birth of two children undoubtedly brings double joy for Roger Federer and wife Mirka. They were already parents to adorable twin girls, Charlene Riva and Myla Rose, who were born in 2009. Now, they have another set of twins added to their growing family and this time around, they're twin boys.
The responses from Federer's colleagues and Twitter followers were overwhelming.
So now there will be a Fed cup team and a Davis cup team:). Congrats Roger and Mirka!!!— Martina Navratilova (@Martina) May 7, 2014
"I've decided to withdraw from Madrid to be with my wife Mirka during these next few exciting weeks for our family," Federer wrote. "I apologize to my fans and hope to be back in Madrid next year," he added. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, he will continue to train near where he lives and optimistic that he will be able to compete again soon.
Federer's agent Tony Godsick revealed to The New York Times that the Swiss athlete is still expected to take part in the French Open tournament, which will be kick off on May 25, if the newborns are in perfect health. "Assuming that everything goes well and the kids are healthy and Mirka is doing well, he has every intention of playing Roland Garros," Godsick said. Federer's agent, however, said that it is uncertain if the Swiss athlete, who currently ranks number 4, will participate in any tournament before the Roland Garros or what is otherwise known as the French Open. Godsick said that only "time will tell."
"He is training and he hasn't missed a beat in training," Godsick added.
As stated on the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) official Web site, there are five tournaments for the month of May. The first one is the Madrid Open, which Federer had previously withdrawn from, followed by Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Düsseldorf Open, Open de Nice Côte d'Azur, and lastly, the Rolland Garros (French Open).
Congratulations to Roger and Mirka!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate