Double Joy for Twin Birth, Roger Federer and Wife Welcome Leo and Lenny; 17-Time Grand Slam Champion Misses Tournaments but Expected to Compete in the French Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 8, 2014 11:51 AM EST
The birth of two children undoubtedly brings double joy for Roger Federer and wife Mirka. They were already parents to adorable twin girls, Charlene Riva and Myla Rose, who were born in 2009. Now, they have another set of twins added to their growing family and this time around, they're twin boys.
The responses from Federer's colleagues and Twitter followers were overwhelming.
So now there will be a Fed cup team and a Davis cup team:). Congrats Roger and Mirka!!!— Martina Navratilova (@Martina) May 7, 2014
"I've decided to withdraw from Madrid to be with my wife Mirka during these next few exciting weeks for our family," Federer wrote. "I apologize to my fans and hope to be back in Madrid next year," he added. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, he will continue to train near where he lives and optimistic that he will be able to compete again soon.
Federer's agent Tony Godsick revealed to The New York Times that the Swiss athlete is still expected to take part in the French Open tournament, which will be kick off on May 25, if the newborns are in perfect health. "Assuming that everything goes well and the kids are healthy and Mirka is doing well, he has every intention of playing Roland Garros," Godsick said. Federer's agent, however, said that it is uncertain if the Swiss athlete, who currently ranks number 4, will participate in any tournament before the Roland Garros or what is otherwise known as the French Open. Godsick said that only "time will tell."
"He is training and he hasn't missed a beat in training," Godsick added.
As stated on the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) official Web site, there are five tournaments for the month of May. The first one is the Madrid Open, which Federer had previously withdrawn from, followed by Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Düsseldorf Open, Open de Nice Côte d'Azur, and lastly, the Rolland Garros (French Open).
Congratulations to Roger and Mirka!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS