Boxing News 2014: Another Large Guaranteed Purse Could Make Mayweather Agree to Fight Pacquiao, Not Muhammad Ali’s Twitter Challenge
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 8, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao has responded to the Sunday tweet of former heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali addressed to unbeaten American pugilist Floyd Mayweather Jr for Money May to give in to fans' clamour for a Pacquiao-Mayweather match.
Pacquiao vs. Rios: Will Pacquiao Regret Abandoning Alex Ariza?
Ali tweeted it right after Mayweather won by a majority decision in a 12-round battle against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, which earned him a guaranteed $32 million purse.
Pacquiao told ABS-CBN that he is always ready to meet Mayweather in the ring, but the ball is in Money May's court. To Ali, he tweeted: "God Bless You. Muhammad. YOU are The Greatest!"
The last sentence appears to be Pacquiao's way of provoking Mayweather who had used various excuses and tactics not to fight the Filipino congressman. Both had been contenders for the title Pound-for-pound king, but since Manny has 3 losses while Money May even improved his record to 46-0, the latter appears to own the right to that title.
Pacquiao apparently is not disputing the pound-for-pound king title, but seems unwilling to bestow on Mayweather the title The Greatest, which Money May had occasionally appropriated for himself.
With his Saturday victory, experts estimate that Mayweather had earned about $400 million for his fights. Money May reckoned that he is bound to receive a total of $70 million, including the Pay-per-view revenues.
Because of Mayweather's obsession with his fortune, a Filipino boxing analyst, Boyet Sison, believes the bait for the Dream Match to finally take place would be a higher guaranteed purse that would break the $41 million record amount that Mayweather received in 2012.
Sison said that while Ali's voice is the most influential in the boxing world, the challenge he hurled to Mayweather may remain unheeded unless accompanied by an 11-digit offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique