Boxing News 2014: Another Large Guaranteed Purse Could Make Mayweather Agree to Fight Pacquiao, Not Muhammad Ali’s Twitter Challenge
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 8, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao has responded to the Sunday tweet of former heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali addressed to unbeaten American pugilist Floyd Mayweather Jr for Money May to give in to fans' clamour for a Pacquiao-Mayweather match.
Pacquiao vs. Rios: Will Pacquiao Regret Abandoning Alex Ariza?
Ali tweeted it right after Mayweather won by a majority decision in a 12-round battle against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, which earned him a guaranteed $32 million purse.
Pacquiao told ABS-CBN that he is always ready to meet Mayweather in the ring, but the ball is in Money May's court. To Ali, he tweeted: "God Bless You. Muhammad. YOU are The Greatest!"
The last sentence appears to be Pacquiao's way of provoking Mayweather who had used various excuses and tactics not to fight the Filipino congressman. Both had been contenders for the title Pound-for-pound king, but since Manny has 3 losses while Money May even improved his record to 46-0, the latter appears to own the right to that title.
Pacquiao apparently is not disputing the pound-for-pound king title, but seems unwilling to bestow on Mayweather the title The Greatest, which Money May had occasionally appropriated for himself.
With his Saturday victory, experts estimate that Mayweather had earned about $400 million for his fights. Money May reckoned that he is bound to receive a total of $70 million, including the Pay-per-view revenues.
Because of Mayweather's obsession with his fortune, a Filipino boxing analyst, Boyet Sison, believes the bait for the Dream Match to finally take place would be a higher guaranteed purse that would break the $41 million record amount that Mayweather received in 2012.
Sison said that while Ali's voice is the most influential in the boxing world, the challenge he hurled to Mayweather may remain unheeded unless accompanied by an 11-digit offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report