Alibaba IPO is Hottest Public Listing of 2014; Could Raise $20B, Possibly the Largest in U.S. History
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 8, 2014 8:39 AM EST
China's Alibaba Group Holding filed on Wednesday papers for the e-commerce giant to go public in the U.S.
Reports said that Alibaba, established by former English teacher Jack Ma in his Hangzhou flat, has an estimated market value of $168 billion. Based on the valuation and reports that Alibaba plans to sell 12 per cent through the initial public offering, the Chinese giant is expected to raise at least $20 billion.
It would top the $19.65 billion record of Visa's IPO in 2008.
Bloomberg noted that with its $168 billion market value, it would be the second most valuable Internet company after Google, and Alibaba would be larger than 95 per cent of Standard & Poor's 500 Index.
It would take several months before Alibaba completes the process to list publicly and issue its IPO. The Chinese giant has not yet decided whether to list on the New York Stock Exchange or Nasdaq Stock Market.
Documents filed by Alibaba said that the firm's revenue for the first three quarters of its fiscal year 2013 was $6.51 billion and net income was $2.85 billion.
As of 2013, Alibaba has 8 million active sellers which make up 76.2 per cent of all mobile e-commerce transactions in China, and a peak one-day shipment of 156 million packages in 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide