Alibaba IPO is Hottest Public Listing of 2014; Could Raise $20B, Possibly the Largest in U.S. History
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 8, 2014 8:39 AM EST
China's Alibaba Group Holding filed on Wednesday papers for the e-commerce giant to go public in the U.S.
Reports said that Alibaba, established by former English teacher Jack Ma in his Hangzhou flat, has an estimated market value of $168 billion. Based on the valuation and reports that Alibaba plans to sell 12 per cent through the initial public offering, the Chinese giant is expected to raise at least $20 billion.
It would top the $19.65 billion record of Visa's IPO in 2008.
Bloomberg noted that with its $168 billion market value, it would be the second most valuable Internet company after Google, and Alibaba would be larger than 95 per cent of Standard & Poor's 500 Index.
It would take several months before Alibaba completes the process to list publicly and issue its IPO. The Chinese giant has not yet decided whether to list on the New York Stock Exchange or Nasdaq Stock Market.
Documents filed by Alibaba said that the firm's revenue for the first three quarters of its fiscal year 2013 was $6.51 billion and net income was $2.85 billion.
As of 2013, Alibaba has 8 million active sellers which make up 76.2 per cent of all mobile e-commerce transactions in China, and a peak one-day shipment of 156 million packages in 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales