Alibaba IPO is Hottest Public Listing of 2014; Could Raise $20B, Possibly the Largest in U.S. History
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 8, 2014 8:39 AM EST
China's Alibaba Group Holding filed on Wednesday papers for the e-commerce giant to go public in the U.S.
Reports said that Alibaba, established by former English teacher Jack Ma in his Hangzhou flat, has an estimated market value of $168 billion. Based on the valuation and reports that Alibaba plans to sell 12 per cent through the initial public offering, the Chinese giant is expected to raise at least $20 billion.
It would top the $19.65 billion record of Visa's IPO in 2008.
Bloomberg noted that with its $168 billion market value, it would be the second most valuable Internet company after Google, and Alibaba would be larger than 95 per cent of Standard & Poor's 500 Index.
It would take several months before Alibaba completes the process to list publicly and issue its IPO. The Chinese giant has not yet decided whether to list on the New York Stock Exchange or Nasdaq Stock Market.
Documents filed by Alibaba said that the firm's revenue for the first three quarters of its fiscal year 2013 was $6.51 billion and net income was $2.85 billion.
As of 2013, Alibaba has 8 million active sellers which make up 76.2 per cent of all mobile e-commerce transactions in China, and a peak one-day shipment of 156 million packages in 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight