Football News: Beautiful Boss for the 'Beautiful Game' as Ligue 2 Side Clermont Foot Shockingly Appoints Female Manager
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 8, 2014 2:38 AM EST
Ligue 2 side Clermont Foot made a shocking revelation on Wednesday when they made history and announced the appointment of Helena Costa as first-team manager.
Ligue 2 side Clermont Foot shocks the world by appointing female manager Helena Costa
Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Join Chelsea in Race to Acquire River Plate Defender, Barca Also Interested
The lady boss boasts of a decent resume, having managed the Qatar and Iran women's national team, among others, while serving as a scout for Scottish giants Celtic and Portugal's Leixoes SC.
"Clermont Foot 63 has chosen Helena Costa to be our new coach," a statement read on the club's Website.
"This appointment will allow [the club] to begin a new era."
The decision might prove to be a remarkable feat for football in general, adding a fresh perspective to the "beautiful game," as it is known to be a sport with a very manly image.
"I was talking with my physiotherapist about the time when the first woman entered the army; a very macho environment. At first, there was a lot of shock. But now, women in the army has become normal. This may be the same in football," Clermont Foot defender Anthony Lippini told L'Equipe.
"I cannot wait to return next season to be a part of it. I'm really curious. It will be a unique experience."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Hoax Alert: Floyd Mayweather Didn’t Die Of Drug Overdose
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider