Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Targets Middleweight Division; Slugger Could Fight Miguel Cotto, Sergio Martinez to Become 9-Division World Champion
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 8, 2014 1:10 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao's next opponent hasn't been unveiled so far, but there's a chance the Filipino congressman will take on the winner of the Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez clash in June. The Cotto-Martinez clash will for the WBC middleweight championship, a title the Pacman hasn't lifted yet, at least for now.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines celebrates his unanimous decision over WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. after their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014. Bradley was previously undefeated.
Despite his losses against Tim Bradley and KO defeat at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez, Pacquiao's legacy is already secured. In the history of boxing, there's no fighter who was able to capture world championship in eight different weight divisions. No one until Pacquiao came out of nowhere to dominate the brutal sport.
However, an achievement-hungry Pacquiao could be given another opportunity at greatness, maybe later this year, against either Cotto or Martinez and it's perhaps for the world middleweight championship.
In an interview with RingTV last week, Arum stated that there are plenty of fighters in his stable who are ready to rumble with Pacquiao anytime. The Top-Rank boss mentioned the usual suspects such as Juan Manuel Marquez, Ruslan Provodnikov and Mike Alvarado and then came up with an interesting pair of candidates in Cotto and Martinez.
Cotto faced and lost to Pacquiao in a 12-round stoppage for the WBO Welterweight Championship five years ago. While the Puerto Rican is currently training under Pacman's trainer Freddie Roach, he didn't rule out the possibility he would lock horns again with the former pound-for-pound king.
But the most surprising name among all Arum stated is Martinez, who is considered the king of the 160-pound division. The boxing promoter believed a Pacquiao-Martinez bout is possible as long as the Argentinean camp agree to shed some poundage or accept a catch-weight clause.
"Indeed, who wouldn't want to see Pacquiao against Martinez, if Martinez and successful can come down in weight a little bit?" said Arum, who also pitted Pacquiao against Antonio Margarito in a light middleweight championship before.
Martinez's promoter Lou DiBella also expressed his optimism on the potential slugfest between two great champions, stressing he can initiate negotiation with Pacman's camp right after the Cotto fight.
"That would be a wonderful thing," DiBella said. "We would love to have that opportunity. I'm all ears. We'll talk. After Sergio beats Miguel Cotto, I'll be happy to sit down and talk," he added.
For The 9th Division Title?
Pacquiao, who obliterated a 165-pounder Margarito in their light middleweight showdown, may be too ambitious in facing on a full-fledged middleweight like Martinez. Despite his advantage in speed and boxing skills, Pacquiao would be an easy prey for brawler Martinez, a boxer who destroyed big dudes such Kelly Pavlik and Paul Williams before.
Pacquiao also experienced a rapid decline in his punching power. Unlike his heydays, Pacman hasn't knocked out an opponent in roughly six years. His last KO win was against Cotto, after that, all of his matches went to the limit - except his KO loss to Marquez.
While taking a 9th division title belt would be cool, Pacquiao has to stay off from this career-ending plot being brewed by Arum. After all, he has to take on one more fight under his stable before bolting for greener pastures outside Arum's clutches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports