Bill Gates Could Become World's First Trillionaire
By Johnlee Varghese | May 8, 2014 1:09 AM EST
Financial forecasters predict that in the next 25 years, Bill Gates could emerge as the first trillionaire in the world.
Bill Gates. Reuters
The prediction is based on the assumption that the world's greatest fortunes would continue to grow at the current rate, boosted by the rapid wealth creation in emerging markets, such as India and China.
The forecasters stated that by 2039, if this trend of wealth growth continues, then Gates could become one of the planet's super-richest man.
A trillion dollars is a million million or $1,000,000,000,000, the equivalent of $140 for every person on the planet. It is enough money to buy up every last inch of property in central London at today's prices, according to The Times.
Other contenders, who hold the potential to be the world's first trillionaire, include Mexican telecoms mogul Carlos Slim and legendary US investor Warren Buffett.
"Two generations ahead, future extrapolation of current wealth growth rates yields almost a billion millionaires, equivalent to 20 per cent of the total adult population," the bank wrote in its annual Global Wealth Report last year, reported The Times.
"If this scenario unfolds, then billionaires will be commonplace, and there is likely to be a few trillionaires too, eleven according to our best estimate," the report noted.
Gates, 58, once again shot back to the top slot as the richest man in the world in 2014, according to Forbes' annual list of billionaires. Gates' net worth is now $76 billion and he has been on top for over 15 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans