Bill Gates Could Become World's First Trillionaire
By Johnlee Varghese | May 8, 2014 1:09 AM EST
Financial forecasters predict that in the next 25 years, Bill Gates could emerge as the first trillionaire in the world.
Bill Gates. Reuters
The prediction is based on the assumption that the world's greatest fortunes would continue to grow at the current rate, boosted by the rapid wealth creation in emerging markets, such as India and China.
The forecasters stated that by 2039, if this trend of wealth growth continues, then Gates could become one of the planet's super-richest man.
A trillion dollars is a million million or $1,000,000,000,000, the equivalent of $140 for every person on the planet. It is enough money to buy up every last inch of property in central London at today's prices, according to The Times.
Other contenders, who hold the potential to be the world's first trillionaire, include Mexican telecoms mogul Carlos Slim and legendary US investor Warren Buffett.
"Two generations ahead, future extrapolation of current wealth growth rates yields almost a billion millionaires, equivalent to 20 per cent of the total adult population," the bank wrote in its annual Global Wealth Report last year, reported The Times.
"If this scenario unfolds, then billionaires will be commonplace, and there is likely to be a few trillionaires too, eleven according to our best estimate," the report noted.
Gates, 58, once again shot back to the top slot as the richest man in the world in 2014, according to Forbes' annual list of billionaires. Gates' net worth is now $76 billion and he has been on top for over 15 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Not Carrying Twins, Palace Revealed---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage