Bill Gates Could Become World's First Trillionaire
By Johnlee Varghese | May 8, 2014 1:09 AM EST
Financial forecasters predict that in the next 25 years, Bill Gates could emerge as the first trillionaire in the world.
Bill Gates. Reuters
The prediction is based on the assumption that the world's greatest fortunes would continue to grow at the current rate, boosted by the rapid wealth creation in emerging markets, such as India and China.
The forecasters stated that by 2039, if this trend of wealth growth continues, then Gates could become one of the planet's super-richest man.
A trillion dollars is a million million or $1,000,000,000,000, the equivalent of $140 for every person on the planet. It is enough money to buy up every last inch of property in central London at today's prices, according to The Times.
Other contenders, who hold the potential to be the world's first trillionaire, include Mexican telecoms mogul Carlos Slim and legendary US investor Warren Buffett.
"Two generations ahead, future extrapolation of current wealth growth rates yields almost a billion millionaires, equivalent to 20 per cent of the total adult population," the bank wrote in its annual Global Wealth Report last year, reported The Times.
"If this scenario unfolds, then billionaires will be commonplace, and there is likely to be a few trillionaires too, eleven according to our best estimate," the report noted.
Gates, 58, once again shot back to the top slot as the richest man in the world in 2014, according to Forbes' annual list of billionaires. Gates' net worth is now $76 billion and he has been on top for over 15 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’