$20 Handset Will be Available Before the Year Ends
By Naveena Joy | May 7, 2014 11:00 PM EST
ARM believes that smartphones will soon be affordable to everybody. Sources said the company continues on scaling the process technology and combines the development of small/power efficient CPU cores to ensure that even the cheapest mobile devices are called smartphones.
Covering ARM's Tech Day, Anand Tech, shared some data about how the smartphone market is growing daily. It said the growth of the smartphone industry is shifting from high-end devices to mid-range and then entry level devices.
By 2018, ARM expects more than a billion entry level smartphones to be released annually, which will be less than $150 as compared to the prices quoted today by the smartphone companies.
The factors that will drive the entry level devices are their performance and cost. ARM will introduce an entry level handset running an Android at a minimum price of $20 in the coming months.
The $20 smartphone will have a single core Cortex A5 processor and 2.5G wireless data along with sophisticated mobile computing like calls and text messages, social networks and the modern mobile Web.
Also, this smartphone won't be competing against the giant companies that are currently topping the market. But will definitely mention that the single Cortex A5 is faster than the ARM11 in the original iPhone priced at $599 in 2007.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine