$20 Handset Will be Available Before the Year Ends
By Naveena Joy | May 7, 2014 11:00 PM EST
ARM believes that smartphones will soon be affordable to everybody. Sources said the company continues on scaling the process technology and combines the development of small/power efficient CPU cores to ensure that even the cheapest mobile devices are called smartphones.
Covering ARM's Tech Day, Anand Tech, shared some data about how the smartphone market is growing daily. It said the growth of the smartphone industry is shifting from high-end devices to mid-range and then entry level devices.
By 2018, ARM expects more than a billion entry level smartphones to be released annually, which will be less than $150 as compared to the prices quoted today by the smartphone companies.
The factors that will drive the entry level devices are their performance and cost. ARM will introduce an entry level handset running an Android at a minimum price of $20 in the coming months.
The $20 smartphone will have a single core Cortex A5 processor and 2.5G wireless data along with sophisticated mobile computing like calls and text messages, social networks and the modern mobile Web.
Also, this smartphone won't be competing against the giant companies that are currently topping the market. But will definitely mention that the single Cortex A5 is faster than the ARM11 in the original iPhone priced at $599 in 2007.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ 1.17 Update May Feature Hydra and Army DLC As New Verified Jobs Emerge
- Android 5.0 L Update Forecast For Sony Xperia Z Series, Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Dragon Age Keep Save Import and Multiplayer Mode Explained
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine