$20 Handset Will be Available Before the Year Ends
By Naveena Joy | May 7, 2014 11:00 PM EST
ARM believes that smartphones will soon be affordable to everybody. Sources said the company continues on scaling the process technology and combines the development of small/power efficient CPU cores to ensure that even the cheapest mobile devices are called smartphones.
Covering ARM's Tech Day, Anand Tech, shared some data about how the smartphone market is growing daily. It said the growth of the smartphone industry is shifting from high-end devices to mid-range and then entry level devices.
By 2018, ARM expects more than a billion entry level smartphones to be released annually, which will be less than $150 as compared to the prices quoted today by the smartphone companies.
The factors that will drive the entry level devices are their performance and cost. ARM will introduce an entry level handset running an Android at a minimum price of $20 in the coming months.
The $20 smartphone will have a single core Cortex A5 processor and 2.5G wireless data along with sophisticated mobile computing like calls and text messages, social networks and the modern mobile Web.
Also, this smartphone won't be competing against the giant companies that are currently topping the market. But will definitely mention that the single Cortex A5 is faster than the ARM11 in the original iPhone priced at $599 in 2007.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown