‘Frozen’ Singer Idina Menzel ‘Too Old’ to Cast in ‘Wicked’ Movie, Fans Disagree on Twitter
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 7, 2014 10:46 PM EST
Many fell in love with Idina Menzel's voice singing as Elsa in the megahit "Frozen" theme-song "Let It Go" and her lovely rendition of "Defying Gravity" in the Broadway musical "Wicked."
Despite her amazing vocal power and superb acting chops, the popular Broadway singer will not be in the roster of the "Wicked" movie cast for the reason that she is "too old" to reprise the role of "Elphaba" for the big screen remake.
Singer Idina Menzel arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014.
According to a reports by Digital Spy, in her appearance on Andy Cohen's talk show, "Watch What Happens Live," Menzel shared she and fellow Broadway actress Kristin Chenoweth who played the good witch "Glinda" in the original "Wicked" cannot play the roles with their age. She told Cohen she wants to be part of the movie and she "would die" to be part of it.
Although she desires to regain the coveted role, Menzel is not bitter about the truth of her age. She even joked when asked if she has been approached for the "Wicked" movie, "Yeah, as the mother of Elphaba," she quipped.
Meanwhile, "Glee" Star Leah Michele is rumored to play "Elphaba" with Harry Styles as "Fiyero," according to movie and celebrity database IMDb.
While there are still no confirmed reports when the movie will be released, avid fans of the musical will surely follow who will play their favorite characters in the upcoming remake.
Apparently, several fans of the popular Broadway musical aired their opinions about the possible casting of the movie, tweeting their support for Menzel and Chenoweth to the extent of writing that whoever told that both actress are "too old" to play in the movie deserves to be beaten.
In another post, a Twitter user even managed to create a meme to point out the support for the "Wicked's" original cast.
the Wicked fandom if Idina and Kristin are not casted for the movie. pic.twitter.com/JWyqhmdSCC
— Walker (@iSwaggyNerd) May 5, 2014
With the reactions from the social media network, it seems that the "Wicked" musical has a solid fan base that may criticize the upcoming film if the characters will not be as "effective" as the Broadway stars.
Leah Michele is starting to receive criticisms with commenters saying her voice is too weak for the role of "Elphaba."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown