‘Frozen’ Singer Idina Menzel ‘Too Old’ to Cast in ‘Wicked’ Movie, Fans Disagree on Twitter
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 7, 2014 10:46 PM EST
Many fell in love with Idina Menzel's voice singing as Elsa in the megahit "Frozen" theme-song "Let It Go" and her lovely rendition of "Defying Gravity" in the Broadway musical "Wicked."
Despite her amazing vocal power and superb acting chops, the popular Broadway singer will not be in the roster of the "Wicked" movie cast for the reason that she is "too old" to reprise the role of "Elphaba" for the big screen remake.
Singer Idina Menzel arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014.
According to a reports by Digital Spy, in her appearance on Andy Cohen's talk show, "Watch What Happens Live," Menzel shared she and fellow Broadway actress Kristin Chenoweth who played the good witch "Glinda" in the original "Wicked" cannot play the roles with their age. She told Cohen she wants to be part of the movie and she "would die" to be part of it.
Although she desires to regain the coveted role, Menzel is not bitter about the truth of her age. She even joked when asked if she has been approached for the "Wicked" movie, "Yeah, as the mother of Elphaba," she quipped.
Meanwhile, "Glee" Star Leah Michele is rumored to play "Elphaba" with Harry Styles as "Fiyero," according to movie and celebrity database IMDb.
While there are still no confirmed reports when the movie will be released, avid fans of the musical will surely follow who will play their favorite characters in the upcoming remake.
Apparently, several fans of the popular Broadway musical aired their opinions about the possible casting of the movie, tweeting their support for Menzel and Chenoweth to the extent of writing that whoever told that both actress are "too old" to play in the movie deserves to be beaten.
In another post, a Twitter user even managed to create a meme to point out the support for the "Wicked's" original cast.
the Wicked fandom if Idina and Kristin are not casted for the movie. pic.twitter.com/JWyqhmdSCC
— Walker (@iSwaggyNerd) May 5, 2014
With the reactions from the social media network, it seems that the "Wicked" musical has a solid fan base that may criticize the upcoming film if the characters will not be as "effective" as the Broadway stars.
Leah Michele is starting to receive criticisms with commenters saying her voice is too weak for the role of "Elphaba."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’