‘Frozen’ Singer Idina Menzel ‘Too Old’ to Cast in ‘Wicked’ Movie, Fans Disagree on Twitter
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 7, 2014 10:46 PM EST
Many fell in love with Idina Menzel's voice singing as Elsa in the megahit "Frozen" theme-song "Let It Go" and her lovely rendition of "Defying Gravity" in the Broadway musical "Wicked."
Despite her amazing vocal power and superb acting chops, the popular Broadway singer will not be in the roster of the "Wicked" movie cast for the reason that she is "too old" to reprise the role of "Elphaba" for the big screen remake.
Singer Idina Menzel arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014.
According to a reports by Digital Spy, in her appearance on Andy Cohen's talk show, "Watch What Happens Live," Menzel shared she and fellow Broadway actress Kristin Chenoweth who played the good witch "Glinda" in the original "Wicked" cannot play the roles with their age. She told Cohen she wants to be part of the movie and she "would die" to be part of it.
Although she desires to regain the coveted role, Menzel is not bitter about the truth of her age. She even joked when asked if she has been approached for the "Wicked" movie, "Yeah, as the mother of Elphaba," she quipped.
Meanwhile, "Glee" Star Leah Michele is rumored to play "Elphaba" with Harry Styles as "Fiyero," according to movie and celebrity database IMDb.
While there are still no confirmed reports when the movie will be released, avid fans of the musical will surely follow who will play their favorite characters in the upcoming remake.
Apparently, several fans of the popular Broadway musical aired their opinions about the possible casting of the movie, tweeting their support for Menzel and Chenoweth to the extent of writing that whoever told that both actress are "too old" to play in the movie deserves to be beaten.
In another post, a Twitter user even managed to create a meme to point out the support for the "Wicked's" original cast.
the Wicked fandom if Idina and Kristin are not casted for the movie. pic.twitter.com/JWyqhmdSCC
— Walker (@iSwaggyNerd) May 5, 2014
With the reactions from the social media network, it seems that the "Wicked" musical has a solid fan base that may criticize the upcoming film if the characters will not be as "effective" as the Broadway stars.
Leah Michele is starting to receive criticisms with commenters saying her voice is too weak for the role of "Elphaba."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks