‘Frozen’ Singer Idina Menzel ‘Too Old’ to Cast in ‘Wicked’ Movie, Fans Disagree on Twitter
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 7, 2014 10:46 PM EST
Many fell in love with Idina Menzel's voice singing as Elsa in the megahit "Frozen" theme-song "Let It Go" and her lovely rendition of "Defying Gravity" in the Broadway musical "Wicked."
Despite her amazing vocal power and superb acting chops, the popular Broadway singer will not be in the roster of the "Wicked" movie cast for the reason that she is "too old" to reprise the role of "Elphaba" for the big screen remake.
Singer Idina Menzel arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014.
According to a reports by Digital Spy, in her appearance on Andy Cohen's talk show, "Watch What Happens Live," Menzel shared she and fellow Broadway actress Kristin Chenoweth who played the good witch "Glinda" in the original "Wicked" cannot play the roles with their age. She told Cohen she wants to be part of the movie and she "would die" to be part of it.
Although she desires to regain the coveted role, Menzel is not bitter about the truth of her age. She even joked when asked if she has been approached for the "Wicked" movie, "Yeah, as the mother of Elphaba," she quipped.
Meanwhile, "Glee" Star Leah Michele is rumored to play "Elphaba" with Harry Styles as "Fiyero," according to movie and celebrity database IMDb.
While there are still no confirmed reports when the movie will be released, avid fans of the musical will surely follow who will play their favorite characters in the upcoming remake.
Apparently, several fans of the popular Broadway musical aired their opinions about the possible casting of the movie, tweeting their support for Menzel and Chenoweth to the extent of writing that whoever told that both actress are "too old" to play in the movie deserves to be beaten.
In another post, a Twitter user even managed to create a meme to point out the support for the "Wicked's" original cast.
the Wicked fandom if Idina and Kristin are not casted for the movie. pic.twitter.com/JWyqhmdSCC
— Walker (@iSwaggyNerd) May 5, 2014
With the reactions from the social media network, it seems that the "Wicked" musical has a solid fan base that may criticize the upcoming film if the characters will not be as "effective" as the Broadway stars.
Leah Michele is starting to receive criticisms with commenters saying her voice is too weak for the role of "Elphaba."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones