Rabindranath Tagore’s Birthday: Top 15 Inspiring Quotes to Remember the Nobel Laureate
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | May 7, 2014 10:28 PM EST
7 May 1861 was just another day for the millions of Indians living during that time. Little did they know then that a man was born who would go on to define one of the finest Indian writing styles, that would live eternally in the memory of those who love literature, religion and life in general.
Rabindranath Tagore's Birthday: Here are top 10 inspiring quotes to remember the Nobel laureate. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
The author of Gitanjali and its profoundly beautiful verse went on to become the first non-European to win the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913.
His fine writings often described as "elegant prose and magical poetry" have been highly influential especially in introducing the best of Indian culture to the West and vice versa.
Outstanding poet, meticulous philosopher and a master of prose and delightful poems - call him what you may, but every word might fall short of describing the real human in the man better known as the most creative artist of modern South Asia.
In commemoration of the 154th Birth Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore, let us recollect some of the best words he ever penned:
1. Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.
2. I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
3. Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it.
4. The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
5. Faith is the bird that feels that light when the dawn is still dark.
6. You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.
7. Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom.
8. By plucking her petals, you do not gather the beauty of the flower.
9. Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.
10. Age considers; youth ventures.
11. Love is an endless mystery, for it has nothing else to explain it.
12. What is Art? It is the response of man's creative soul to the call of the Real.
13. To be outspoken is easy when you do not wait to speak the complete truth.
14. We gain freedom when we have paid the full price.
15. Those who own much have much to fear
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video