Rabindranath Tagore’s Birthday: Top 15 Inspiring Quotes to Remember the Nobel Laureate
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | May 7, 2014 10:28 PM EST
7 May 1861 was just another day for the millions of Indians living during that time. Little did they know then that a man was born who would go on to define one of the finest Indian writing styles, that would live eternally in the memory of those who love literature, religion and life in general.
Rabindranath Tagore's Birthday: Here are top 10 inspiring quotes to remember the Nobel laureate. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
The author of Gitanjali and its profoundly beautiful verse went on to become the first non-European to win the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913.
His fine writings often described as "elegant prose and magical poetry" have been highly influential especially in introducing the best of Indian culture to the West and vice versa.
Outstanding poet, meticulous philosopher and a master of prose and delightful poems - call him what you may, but every word might fall short of describing the real human in the man better known as the most creative artist of modern South Asia.
In commemoration of the 154th Birth Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore, let us recollect some of the best words he ever penned:
1. Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.
2. I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
3. Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it.
4. The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
5. Faith is the bird that feels that light when the dawn is still dark.
6. You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.
7. Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom.
8. By plucking her petals, you do not gather the beauty of the flower.
9. Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.
10. Age considers; youth ventures.
11. Love is an endless mystery, for it has nothing else to explain it.
12. What is Art? It is the response of man's creative soul to the call of the Real.
13. To be outspoken is easy when you do not wait to speak the complete truth.
14. We gain freedom when we have paid the full price.
15. Those who own much have much to fear
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best