Lawyer Complaint Claims Sam Worthington Received Special Treatment On His Assault Case
By Anne Lu | May 7, 2014 6:00 PM EST
Sam Worthington’s dismissed assault case is the subject of a new complaint. The lawyer of his alleged assault victim claims the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has committed an act of “public corruption” when it let the “Avatar” star off the hook without even informing the other party.
In February, Worthington and photographer Sheng Li were both arrested after an altercation on a street in New York. The 37-year-old Australian actor allegedly only tried to defend his “wife” Lara Bingle after LI aggressively pursued her for hours.
Worthington was charged with assault, while Li was also charged with assault, as well as reckless endangerment and harassment.
The actor’s misdemeanour case was resolved in April, with the agreement that Worthington should stay away from trouble for six months.
But in a civilian crime report filed by Li’s lawyer Mark Jay Heller, the case was apparently unfairly treated.
Heller filed a complaint with the Manhattan U.S. Attorney, demanding investigation of DA’s Office and Prosecutor Atalanta Mihas for allegedly failing and refusing to charge Worthington with felony assault, attempted robbery and filing a false report.
The videos of the scuffle “clearly depict a brutal assault by Sam Worthington and Lara Bingle upon the victim Sheng Li, as well as an attempted robbery by them of the victim’s cameras,” the filing, obtained by the NY Post, reads.
The lawyer added that Worthington made it known to the authorities that he was the star of the blockbuster film “Avatar,” which “may have impacted what appears to be a grave miscarriage of justice.”
Worthington got a no-jail, conditional discharge during a court hearing that he didn’t even attend. Li was also not told about the hearing.
Li suffered tears to his rotator cuff and tendons, as well as injuries to his head, face and jaw, Heller told The Post. He added that the paparazzo may even need up to USD50,000 worth of surgery.
A spokesman for DA Cyrus Vance declined to comment on the complaint, but a source from his office told the paper, “We’re not worried. This was a standard disposition.”
Both Worthington and Li were offered the same disposition, but only the actor accepted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015