2014 Meteor Shower: Potential New Meteor Shower Coming from Comet 209P/LINEAR to Peak on May 23 and 24?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 7, 2014 4:48 PM EST
A new meteor shower is anticipated to put on a sky display after the 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower peak last May 5 and 6. Astronomers claimed that Earth should be plowing through the Comet 209P/LINEAR debris and the new meteor storm from the comet illuminate the night skies on May 23 and 24.
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California released a skywatching video with Jane Houston Jones narrating the predictions on the new meteor shower. "Predictions run from less than 100 meteors per hour up to an unlikely but possible meteor storm as high as 1,000 per hour," the narrator stated in the Space.com report.
Sky watchers are suggested to set their alarm clocks at midnight on May 23 and 24. "Keep your eyes peeled for slow-moving but bright meteors - both nights if you can," Jane Houston Jones declared. According to the DNews report, the new meteor shower will be called the "May Camelopardalids."
However, forecasters are still in conflict as to how many meteors will be generated. Experts dispute that the problem is the Comet 209P/LINEAR's path that planet Earth will be passing through which is a trail laid down over a hundred years before the comet got discovered.
"We have no idea what the comet was doing in the 1800s. There could be a great meteor shower - or a complete dud," Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office, stated. The stream that the Comet 209P/LINEAR created, which the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research project discovered back in 2004, happens to be Earth's orbit this 2014 and the comet stream are positioned accurately for an interplanetary meeting.
If the forecasters are right, the month of May will be able experience the extraordinary celestial sky display that could even do better than the Perseid meteor shower that peaks in August.
The best time to view the new meteor shower "May Camelopardalids" is between 2-4 am EDT (06:00-08:00 UT) on Saturday morning, May 24. Those living in North America will be in favor of viewing the meteor shower that is expected to take place in the darkness before the crack of dawn.
"We expect these meteors to radiate from a point in Camelopardalis, also known as 'the giraffe', a faint constellation near the North Star. It will be up all night long for anyone who wishes to watch throughout the night," Bill Cooke further added in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) news release.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video: Teenager Jared Michael Takes Selfie Near Train Track, Got Kicked in the Head by Conductor - [READ]
2014 Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower: How to Best View Peak on May 5 and 6, Where to Watch Sky Display Online - [READ]
Magic Tricks for Cats Video: Cats Give Different Reaction to Tricks of Magician Rick Lax [WATCH] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date