2014 Meteor Shower: Potential New Meteor Shower Coming from Comet 209P/LINEAR to Peak on May 23 and 24?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 7, 2014 4:48 PM EST
A new meteor shower is anticipated to put on a sky display after the 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower peak last May 5 and 6. Astronomers claimed that Earth should be plowing through the Comet 209P/LINEAR debris and the new meteor storm from the comet illuminate the night skies on May 23 and 24.
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California released a skywatching video with Jane Houston Jones narrating the predictions on the new meteor shower. "Predictions run from less than 100 meteors per hour up to an unlikely but possible meteor storm as high as 1,000 per hour," the narrator stated in the Space.com report.
Sky watchers are suggested to set their alarm clocks at midnight on May 23 and 24. "Keep your eyes peeled for slow-moving but bright meteors - both nights if you can," Jane Houston Jones declared. According to the DNews report, the new meteor shower will be called the "May Camelopardalids."
However, forecasters are still in conflict as to how many meteors will be generated. Experts dispute that the problem is the Comet 209P/LINEAR's path that planet Earth will be passing through which is a trail laid down over a hundred years before the comet got discovered.
"We have no idea what the comet was doing in the 1800s. There could be a great meteor shower - or a complete dud," Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office, stated. The stream that the Comet 209P/LINEAR created, which the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research project discovered back in 2004, happens to be Earth's orbit this 2014 and the comet stream are positioned accurately for an interplanetary meeting.
If the forecasters are right, the month of May will be able experience the extraordinary celestial sky display that could even do better than the Perseid meteor shower that peaks in August.
The best time to view the new meteor shower "May Camelopardalids" is between 2-4 am EDT (06:00-08:00 UT) on Saturday morning, May 24. Those living in North America will be in favor of viewing the meteor shower that is expected to take place in the darkness before the crack of dawn.
"We expect these meteors to radiate from a point in Camelopardalis, also known as 'the giraffe', a faint constellation near the North Star. It will be up all night long for anyone who wishes to watch throughout the night," Bill Cooke further added in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) news release.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video: Teenager Jared Michael Takes Selfie Near Train Track, Got Kicked in the Head by Conductor - [READ]
2014 Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower: How to Best View Peak on May 5 and 6, Where to Watch Sky Display Online - [READ]
Magic Tricks for Cats Video: Cats Give Different Reaction to Tricks of Magician Rick Lax [WATCH] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools