2014 Meteor Shower: Potential New Meteor Shower Coming from Comet 209P/LINEAR to Peak on May 23 and 24?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 7, 2014 4:48 PM EST
A new meteor shower is anticipated to put on a sky display after the 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower peak last May 5 and 6. Astronomers claimed that Earth should be plowing through the Comet 209P/LINEAR debris and the new meteor storm from the comet illuminate the night skies on May 23 and 24.
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California released a skywatching video with Jane Houston Jones narrating the predictions on the new meteor shower. "Predictions run from less than 100 meteors per hour up to an unlikely but possible meteor storm as high as 1,000 per hour," the narrator stated in the Space.com report.
Sky watchers are suggested to set their alarm clocks at midnight on May 23 and 24. "Keep your eyes peeled for slow-moving but bright meteors - both nights if you can," Jane Houston Jones declared. According to the DNews report, the new meteor shower will be called the "May Camelopardalids."
However, forecasters are still in conflict as to how many meteors will be generated. Experts dispute that the problem is the Comet 209P/LINEAR's path that planet Earth will be passing through which is a trail laid down over a hundred years before the comet got discovered.
"We have no idea what the comet was doing in the 1800s. There could be a great meteor shower - or a complete dud," Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office, stated. The stream that the Comet 209P/LINEAR created, which the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research project discovered back in 2004, happens to be Earth's orbit this 2014 and the comet stream are positioned accurately for an interplanetary meeting.
If the forecasters are right, the month of May will be able experience the extraordinary celestial sky display that could even do better than the Perseid meteor shower that peaks in August.
The best time to view the new meteor shower "May Camelopardalids" is between 2-4 am EDT (06:00-08:00 UT) on Saturday morning, May 24. Those living in North America will be in favor of viewing the meteor shower that is expected to take place in the darkness before the crack of dawn.
"We expect these meteors to radiate from a point in Camelopardalis, also known as 'the giraffe', a faint constellation near the North Star. It will be up all night long for anyone who wishes to watch throughout the night," Bill Cooke further added in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) news release.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video: Teenager Jared Michael Takes Selfie Near Train Track, Got Kicked in the Head by Conductor - [READ]
2014 Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower: How to Best View Peak on May 5 and 6, Where to Watch Sky Display Online - [READ]
Magic Tricks for Cats Video: Cats Give Different Reaction to Tricks of Magician Rick Lax [WATCH] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Video: Man's Privates Gets Exposed For the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- Perth Train Racist Attack Caught on Camera [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza