Coca-Cola to Remove 'Harmful Chemicals' in Sports Drinks: What's Brominated Vegetable Oil?
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 7, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Coca-Cola has recently confirmed the removal of the harmful chemical, brominated vegeteble oil (BVO), in its "Powerade" sports drinks brand. The additive will be eliminated in ready-to-drink beverages and fountain-machine formulas.
Coca-cola plans to remove Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO) ingredient linked to memory loss, skin and nerve problems. (Photo: Reuters)
The company's spokesman said its Powerade drinks are now free of brominated vegetable oil, an ingredient linked to a flame retardant, as reported by the Associated Press. The report added the ingredient "improves stability and prevents certain ingredients from separating."
The campaign to remove BVO in sports drinks was all started by a Mississippi teenager named Sarah Kavanagh. She started her noble fight in calling out huge food and beverage companies to remove harmful ingredients in food in January 2013.
Coming from a volleyball practice, she got curious about the "Orange Gatorade" that she drank. She studied the ingredients and found BVO. Having known the banned ingredient in Japan and Europe, she spearheaded the petition against "PepsiCo" to remove BVO in Gatorade.
A year has passed and she made a similar petition for Powerade. Succeeding in her cause, Coca-cola removed the harmful ingredient in its sports drink.
According to the information that Sarah learned from Scientific American, the flame retardant BVO creates a bad build-up in the human body, including breast milk. The article also cited the hazardous substance has "links to impaired neurological development, reduced fertility, early onset of puberty and altered thyroid hormones," as Kavanagh listed in her Change.org petition.
With the removal of BVO in Powerade, Coca-cola will replace it with sucrose acetate isobutyrate or glycerol ester of rosine, an emulsifier which is categorized generally as a safe food additive by Food and Drug Administration.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Overdose Of Prescription Drug Oxycodone Even Deadlier Than Heroin
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- Dr Oz: Your Diet Can Affect Your Mood, Five Diets That Help Combat Depression
- Celebrity Smokers and the Ways by Which They Quit Smoking
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen