Coca-Cola to Remove 'Harmful Chemicals' in Sports Drinks: What's Brominated Vegetable Oil?
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 7, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Coca-Cola has recently confirmed the removal of the harmful chemical, brominated vegeteble oil (BVO), in its "Powerade" sports drinks brand. The additive will be eliminated in ready-to-drink beverages and fountain-machine formulas.
Coca-cola plans to remove Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO) ingredient linked to memory loss, skin and nerve problems. (Photo: Reuters)
The company's spokesman said its Powerade drinks are now free of brominated vegetable oil, an ingredient linked to a flame retardant, as reported by the Associated Press. The report added the ingredient "improves stability and prevents certain ingredients from separating."
The campaign to remove BVO in sports drinks was all started by a Mississippi teenager named Sarah Kavanagh. She started her noble fight in calling out huge food and beverage companies to remove harmful ingredients in food in January 2013.
Coming from a volleyball practice, she got curious about the "Orange Gatorade" that she drank. She studied the ingredients and found BVO. Having known the banned ingredient in Japan and Europe, she spearheaded the petition against "PepsiCo" to remove BVO in Gatorade.
A year has passed and she made a similar petition for Powerade. Succeeding in her cause, Coca-cola removed the harmful ingredient in its sports drink.
According to the information that Sarah learned from Scientific American, the flame retardant BVO creates a bad build-up in the human body, including breast milk. The article also cited the hazardous substance has "links to impaired neurological development, reduced fertility, early onset of puberty and altered thyroid hormones," as Kavanagh listed in her Change.org petition.
With the removal of BVO in Powerade, Coca-cola will replace it with sucrose acetate isobutyrate or glycerol ester of rosine, an emulsifier which is categorized generally as a safe food additive by Food and Drug Administration.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Smartphone-Linked 'Bionic' Pancreas More Effective In Diabetes: NSW Researchers
- Thanks to Technology, Young People are Losing the Ability to Read Emotions
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares